Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics of Nh3 absoption

1. Mar 26, 2007 #1
    Hi all.

For my teams senior design project we are designing an absorption cycle refrigerator that uses solar energy.

We are using NH3 and H2O.

I am having several problems with performing a thermodynamic analysis. I’m hoping someone can help me.

NH3 boils at -33 C. How do I determine what temperature I need to get my H2O too, so that NH3 will be absorbed into the solution?

How do I determine the temperature that the NH3 will boil out of solution? Is this an enthalpy problem?

Do I need to add enough heat into the system to break NH4 (l) + OH(l) so that NH3(g) + H2O(l) will be produced?

I know NH3 + H2O is an exothermic reaction and I've already calculated the heat given off.

I'm just unsure how (or perhaps, why)the Nh3 gas would dissolve into the H2O. And obviously, I can't have my H2O less than -33 at atm pressure.

This is a good place to start.

I really appreciate anyone time who takes time to help out.

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted