Is This Calculation of Steam Expansion and Superheater Efficiency Correct?

In summary, the problem involves expanding superheated steam from 2000 Kpa and 250 degree centigrade to a pressure of 550 Kpa. The initial state of the steam is superheated and the final state is saturated vapour. To find the dryness fraction, the fact that the process is isentropic is used. The dryness fraction is found to be 95.01% and the change in specific enthalpy is 254.42 KJ/Kg. Another problem is presented where steam enters the superheater at 2000 Kpa and 0.98 dry and leaves at the same pressure and a temperature of 350 degree centigrade. The answers for the heat energy supplied
rmenon
Need some help here please,
Steam at 2000 Kpa and 250 degree centigrade is expanded isentropically to a pressure of 550 Kpa.
Determine the
a) dryness fraction of steam
b) change in specific enthalpy of steam

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts/ideas on this problem? You need to show your work to get help.

This is where I got stuck. I checked the steam tables for h value of superheated steam at 2000 kpa and 250 degree centigrade. Got the values of hf and hfg of wet saturated steam at 2000 kpa, used the formula
x= hsup-hf/hfg and got a value more than 1. This cannot be right because the dryness fraction should be below 100 percent is'nt it. I hav'nt reached the b) part yet. I guess I could use s=sf +xsfg to get the specific enthalpy at both initial and the expanded pressures and then get to the change.
Am I getting this right or-------
Thanks and regards

First of all, at 2000 Kpa and 250 C, what's the state of water?

To figure this out, look at the saturation temperature at the given pressure of 2000 kpa. It's 212.4 C. Since the initial temperature is 250 C which is greater than the saturation temperature at the given pressure, the initial state is superheated steam. Now, your quality factor will not come into play as it's not saturated vapour.

Since you know the initial pressure and temperature of the superheated vapour, you can look up the corresponding thermodynamic properties (in this case, specific entropy) in the superheated vapour tables.

What's the final state of the vapour? Notice that the question asks for the "dryness fraction of steam". So, the final state is saturated vapour and you have to find the dryness fraction. How will you do this? Can you finish the problem now? Here's a hint. Use the fact that the process is isentropic.

Last edited:
Hi,
Think I got it. Can you please double check my answers. I got the dryness fraction 95.01% and the change in enthalpy as 254.42 KJ/Kg

Can you please check if I did this right ?
Q) Steam enters the superheater of a boiler at 2000 kPa and 0.98 dry and leaves at the same pressure and a temperature of 350 degree centigrade. Find
a) heat energy supplied per kg of steam in the super heater
b) percentage increase in volume due to drying and superheating.
Ans-
This is how I approaced the problem.
Orginal volume of 1 kg of steam, I used
v= vf + x(vg - vf) where I got v= 97.66 cm^3 = .097m^3/kg
Then I calculated v for superheated steam at 350 degree centigrade which I got v= 0.1383m^3/kg, the difference in volume being 0.0407m^3/kg which means an increase of 41.7% volume.
Heat supplied -
I calculated the specific entalpies at the two conditions ie. initial and final
inital I used h=hf + hfg where I got 2761.676 kJ/kg
and h at 350 degree centigrade I used the same formula and I got3135.75 kJ/kg
Hence heat energy added in the superheater was 374.07 kJ/kg.
Did I do right ?
Regards
Raj

What is the definition of steam in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, steam is defined as the gaseous state of water that is formed when liquid water is heated to its boiling point and undergoes a phase change.

How does steam behave in thermodynamic systems?

Steam behaves as an ideal gas in thermodynamic systems, following the ideal gas law which states that the pressure and volume of a gas are directly proportional at a constant temperature.

What is the significance of the enthalpy of steam in thermodynamics?

The enthalpy of steam is a measure of the total energy of the steam, including its internal energy and the work it can do. It is an important parameter in thermodynamics as it helps in determining the amount of heat and work involved in steam processes.

How is the thermodynamic efficiency of steam engines calculated?

The thermodynamic efficiency of a steam engine is calculated by dividing the work output of the engine by the heat input. This is also known as the Carnot efficiency and it is the maximum possible efficiency for a steam engine.

What is the role of steam tables in thermodynamics?

Steam tables are a set of tables that contain thermodynamic properties of steam such as temperature, pressure, specific volume, enthalpy, and entropy. They are essential for engineers and scientists to accurately calculate and analyze steam processes in thermodynamic systems.