Thermodynamics: p/V = constant

In summary, the problem is that the student is trying to find the molar heat in a monoatomic ideal gas that expands under the law p=a*V, but is stuck on the equation for C. They eventually find the solution by substituting in the value for C given in the textbook, and calculate the amount of work done in the process.
KingAntikrist
First of all, i want to begin with saying that this is my translation of the problem in english (the original is in romanian) so i don't know if some words are correctly used...

Homework Statement

A monoatomic ideal gas expands under the law [itex]p=a*V[/itex] with a = constant. Find the molar heat in this transformation.

A) 6 R
B) 2 R
C) 0.5 R
D) R
E) 3 R
F) 5 R

Homework Equations

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8069/asd3432re.jpg

I forgot this: [itex]C_V=\frac{3}{2}R[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6503/32ef5456436tgr.jpg

Where's my mistake :-s ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
From line 5 to line 6: 1/V is not p/a. Because p=aV, it should be a/p instead.

Oh yea, thanks for pointing this out...

Now I'm stuck at [itex]\frac{T}{pV}=\frac{1}{a}[/itex] = constant

You end up at the first place, right? :biggrin:
Why don't you try to do something about the 2nd relevant equation you gave above? They ask for C, right? :smile:

hikaru1221 said:
You end up at the first place, right? :biggrin:
Why don't you try to do something about the 2nd relevant equation you gave above? They ask for C, right? :smile:

ye but i don't know which Q should i "use" for a p/V transformation... if it was isobar it would be [itex]c=\frac{\nu C_p \Delta T}{\nu \Delta T}=C_p=\frac{5}{2} R[/itex] if it was isochoric it would be 3/2 R

The textbook derives C for you in special cases. This case doesn't fall into any of those, so you must derive it from the start, i.e. from the definition of the molar heat capacity, the ideal gas equation, the 1st law of thermodynamics and most importantly the law of the process :smile:

You have: [tex]dQ = nCdT[/tex].

Moreover: [tex]dU = dQ - dA = dQ - pdV[/tex].

You also have: [tex]dU = nC_vdT[/tex]

Therefore: [tex]C = \frac{dQ}{ndT} = C_v + \frac{1}{n}\frac{pdV}{dT}[/tex]

Now try to find pdV/dT from the 2 equations: pV/T = const and p/V = const :smile:

hikaru1221 said:
The textbook derives C for you in special cases. This case doesn't fall into any of those, so you must derive it from the start, i.e. from the definition of the molar heat capacity, the ideal gas equation, the 1st law of thermodynamics and most importantly the law of the process :smile:

You have: [tex]dQ = nCdT[/tex].

Moreover: [tex]dU = dQ - dA = dQ - pdV[/tex].

You also have: [tex]dU = nC_vdT[/tex]

Therefore: [tex]C = \frac{dQ}{ndT} = C_v + \frac{1}{n}\frac{pdV}{dT}[/tex]

Now try to find pdV/dT from the 2 equations: pV/T = const and p/V = const :smile:

I don't want to be rude, but can you solve it without using those "d's" (differentiation) because i wasn't taught at school thermodynamics with derivatives (or integrals) and i don't understand what you did over there :-s

Oh I see. Then just change [tex]d[/tex] into [tex]\Delta[/tex] and you should get the same result:
[tex]C = \frac{\Delta Q}{n\Delta T} = C_v + \frac{1}{n}\frac{p\Delta V}{\Delta T}[/tex]
There is nothing about differentiation here; just the notation :smile:

hikaru1221 said:
Oh I see. Then just change [tex]d[/tex] into [tex]\Delta[/tex] and you should get the same result:
[tex]C = \frac{\Delta Q}{n\Delta T} = C_v + \frac{1}{n}\frac{p\Delta V}{\Delta T}[/tex]
There is nothing about differentiation here; just the notation :smile:

i found out that [itex]\frac{1}{\nu}\frac{p\Delta V}{\Delta T}[/itex] is R ... but the answer's not good :-s ...

well isn't [itex]\frac{pV}{T}[/itex] constant? equal to [itex]\nu R[/itex]

Yes. But not [tex]\frac{p\Delta V}{\Delta T}[/tex].

We can change it a bit: [tex]\frac{p\Delta V}{\Delta T}=\frac{aV\Delta V}{\Delta T}[/tex]

We need to find the relation between [tex]\Delta V[/tex] and [tex]\Delta T[/tex]

[tex]pV/T = nR[/tex] so [tex]V^2 = (nR/a)T[/tex]. Therefore: [tex]\Delta (V^2) = (nR/a)\Delta T[/tex], agree?

As the volume changes slightly from [tex]V[/tex] to [tex]V+\Delta V[/tex], we have:
[tex]\Delta (V^2)=(V+\Delta V)^2-V^2=2V\Delta V + (\Delta V)^2[/tex]

Because [tex]\Delta V << V[/tex], we can omit the 2nd term, and thus: [tex]\Delta (V^2)=2V\Delta V [/tex]

The rest should be easy :smile:

You can't assume [itex]\Delta V \ll V[/itex].

Draw a P-V diagram showing the path the system follows going from V1 to V2. The work done is given by the area under that curve, which you can calculate geometrically from the diagram.

vela said:
You can't assume [itex]\Delta V \ll V[/itex].

Draw a P-V diagram showing the path the system follows going from V1 to V2. The work done is given by the area under that curve, which you can calculate geometrically from the diagram.

Why not?

1. What is the meaning of the equation "p/V = constant" in thermodynamics?

The equation "p/V = constant" in thermodynamics represents Boyle's law, which states that the pressure and volume of a gas are inversely proportional to each other at a constant temperature.

2. How is the equation "p/V = constant" used in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, this equation is used to describe the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. It is often used to calculate the changes in pressure or volume when one of these variables is altered while the others are held constant.

3. What are some real-life applications of the equation "p/V = constant" in thermodynamics?

One real-life application of this equation is in the design and operation of engines, such as car engines and steam engines. It is also used in the study of gases and in the production of compressed gases for various industrial processes.

4. How does the equation "p/V = constant" relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The equation "p/V = constant" is a simplified version of the combined gas law, which is based on the first and second laws of thermodynamics. It demonstrates the relationship between the variables of pressure, volume, and temperature, which are all important factors in thermodynamics.

5. Can the equation "p/V = constant" be applied to all types of gases?

Yes, the equation "p/V = constant" can be applied to all types of gases, as long as the temperature remains constant. However, it is most accurate for ideal gases, which follow the ideal gas law and have no intermolecular forces between particles.