Thermodynamics Power and Entropy

In summary: The power required to run the compressor is the work done by the compressor and the heat lost through the walls. The process of running the compressor is not reversible, so you can't use dQ/T to calculate the entropy of the air.
ruiwp13

Homework Statement

A compressor processes 1.5kg/min of air in ambient conditions (1 bar and 20ºC). The compressed air leaves at 10bar and 90ºC. It is estimated that the heat losses trough the walls of the compressor are of 25kJ/min. Calculate:

a) The power of the compressor
b) The variation of specific entropy of the air crossing the compressor
c) Verify if this process is possible, if it obeys to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

Homework Equations

1)ΔS = Q1/T1 - Q2/T2
2)ΔSuniverse=ΔSair+ΔSneighbours
3)Δs=cp*ln(T2/T1)-R*ln(P2/P1)

The Attempt at a Solution

For a I am a little bit stuck. Can I assume that the power of the compressor is all the work done by it?

In b) I think I just need to use the 3) equation.

For c) I need to use the 2) equation being ΔSneighbours=Q/Tneigh ⇔ ΔSneighbours=25kJ/min/20 and ΔSair the variation of entropy calculated in b)

Is this correct? And if it is can you help me in a)?

Best Regards,

Much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The power that goes into heating could be calculated by

[itex]P=c_p \dot{m}\Delta T + Q[/itex], where Q is the lost heat through the walls

You are probably learning about the flow form of the first law applicable to an open system operating at steady state:
[tex]Δh=q-w_s[/tex]
where, per unit mass passing through the system, Δh is the change in enthalpy, q is the heat added, and ws is the shaft work done by the system on the surroundings. This will give you the result that sunfire presented.

To do part (b), you should use your equation 3. (Your process may not be reversible, so you shouldn't be using dQ/T to get the Δs).

I have to think a little more about how to answer part (c).

Chet

1. What is the difference between power and entropy in thermodynamics?

Power is a measure of the rate at which energy is being transferred or converted, while entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, power is often associated with heat and work, while entropy is related to the amount of energy that is unavailable to do work.

2. How does thermodynamics relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system will never decrease over time. This means that in any natural process, the total amount of energy that becomes unavailable to do work will always increase. Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations, and is therefore closely related to the second law.

3. What are the different types of thermodynamic processes?

There are four main types of thermodynamic processes: isothermal, adiabatic, isobaric, and isochoric. An isothermal process occurs at a constant temperature, an adiabatic process occurs without any heat exchange with the surroundings, an isobaric process occurs at a constant pressure, and an isochoric process occurs at a constant volume.

4. How is the efficiency of a thermodynamic system determined?

The efficiency of a thermodynamic system is determined by the ratio of the output of useful work to the input of energy. This is known as the Carnot efficiency and is calculated as the difference between the temperatures of the hot and cold reservoirs, divided by the temperature of the hot reservoir.

5. What is the significance of the Carnot cycle in thermodynamics?

The Carnot cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that serves as an ideal benchmark for the efficiency of a heat engine. It is significant because it demonstrates the maximum efficiency that any heat engine can achieve, and provides a basis for comparing the performance of real-world systems.