Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Thermodynamics problem help again

1. Dec 12, 2004 #1
    Sorry for the second question in just a day, but my proffessor really didn't cover this material very well. Thanks for any help given :).

A cylinder contains 4.22 mol of helium gas at a temperature of 314 K. The molar specific heat of helium at constant volume is 12.5 J/K mol. How much heat must be transferred to the gas to increase its temperature to 531 K if it is heated at a constant volume? Answer in units of J.

Well, after reading the problem, I knew that it was an Isochoric Thermal process due to the comment "heated at a constant volume". Therefore this equation applies:

Change in Internal Energy = Q - W
    - The work is going to be 0 joules
    - Amended equation: Change in internal Energy = Q

Q = Cn(Tf - Ti)
    - Solving for that: Q = (12.5)(531 - 314) = 2712.5

I plugged that in as my answer, and it was wrong. Where did I go wrong? Is the problem even setup right from my perspective?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2004 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Brilliantly,up until the final calculation.U forgot to multiply by the number of moles of He.Your result should ve been 4.22 times larger.It's awkward,because u stated the formula right. :wink:

4. Dec 12, 2004 #3
    Again, thanks very much.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook