Thermodynamics problem: help needed

In summary, the problem involves finding the work done by a gas expanding at a constant pressure of 95 atmospheres, with an initial volume of 5 L and a final volume of 10 L. After converting the pressure to SI units and the volumes to meters ^3, the equation W = P(Vf - Vi) is used to find the work done, resulting in an answer of 4811750 Joules. However, there is an error in converting the volumes, as 1 m^3 is equal to 1000 L.
Enoch
Thermodynamics problem: help needed!

Gas in a container expands at a constant pressure of 95 atmospheres. Find the work done by the gas if the initial volume is 5 L and the final volume is 10 L. Answer in units of Joules.

I thought this problem was straight-forward, but I missed it.

I converted 95 atmospheres into Pascals.

95 X 1.013e5 PA = 9623500

I then converted L into meters ^3.

Vi = 0.5 m^3
Vf = 1 m^3

With the units converted, I used the equation W = P(Vf - Vi) and got the answer 4811750 Joules. The answer is incorrect, or so I believe.

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Enoch said:
Gas in a container expands at a constant pressure of 95 atmospheres. Find the work done by the gas if the initial volume is 5 L and the final volume is 10 L. Answer in units of Joules.

I thought this problem was straight-forward, but I missed it.

I converted 95 atmospheres into Pascals.

95 X 1.013e5 PA = 9623500

I then converted L into meters ^3.

Vi = 0.5 m^3
Vf = 1 m^3

With the units converted, I used the equation W = P(Vf - Vi) and got the answer 4811750 Joules. The answer is incorrect, or so I believe.

Where did I go wrong?

There's no problem with the conversion of the pressure's units to SI,but remember that
[tex]1m^3=1000L [/tex]

dextercioby said:
There's no problem with the conversion of the pressure's units to SI,but remember that
[tex]1m^3=1000L [/tex]

Thanks alot!

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat and other forms of energy, and how they affect matter.

2. What is a thermodynamics problem?

A thermodynamics problem involves using the principles of thermodynamics to solve a specific situation or scenario, often involving heat transfer, energy conversion, or changes in temperature and pressure.

3. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. The second law states that the total disorder of a closed system will never decrease over time. The third law states that it is impossible to reach absolute zero temperature through a finite number of steps.

4. How do you approach solving a thermodynamics problem?

The first step in solving a thermodynamics problem is to identify the system and its boundaries, as well as the type of process occurring (e.g. isothermal, adiabatic, etc.). Then, apply the relevant equations and principles to calculate the desired unknown quantities.

5. What are some common applications of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications, such as designing engines and power plants, understanding weather patterns, and developing refrigeration and air conditioning systems. It is also used in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science to study energy and heat transfer within chemical reactions and biological processes.