Calculating Final Temperature and Ice Remaining in a Thermodynamics Problem

In summary, the final temperature of the beverage will be 0 degrees Celsius and there will be 13.5 grams of ice remaining. The calculations were done in calories rather than joules and the temperature range is between 0 and 10.5 degrees Celsius.
physicsnnewbie
You take a jug of water from the refrigerator, and pour 240mL of it into a glass. The temperature of the beverage is 10.5ºC. You then add one 45g ice cube at 0ºC.

Determine the final temperature and the amount of ice remaining if any.

I've tried to work it out below, but my I must've made an error because the temperature has to be between 0 and 10.5. Where have I gone wrong?

4.184*240(x-10.5) = -[45*333+4.184*45(x-0)]
1004.16x - 10543.68 = -[29970+376.56x]
1004.16x - 10543.68 = -29970-376.56x
1,380.72x - 10543.68 = -29970
1,380.72x = -19,426.32
x = -19,426.32/1,380.72
x = -14.06970276

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It is most convenient to work in calories rather than converting to joules.

1. First find the amount of heat available in the water.
240g * 10.5 C = 2520 cal

2. find the amoutn of ice this will melt.
Heat of fusion is 80 cal/g.
Amount of melt = 2520 cal / (80 cal/g) = 31.5 g

3. Find remaining ice
45g - 31.5g = 13.5g

4. Since we've pulled water temp to 0C, and there's ice remaining at 0C, final temp=0C

thanks marcusl :)

marcusl said:
It is most convenient to work in calories rather than converting to joules.

I'm not all that sure about that. I haven't done a problem in calories before.

It's a small difference, doesn't really matter either way. 4.18 Joules of heat energy raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree C. By definition, one calorie of heat energy raises the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree C. The calorie unit is a little simpler or more direct in this problem. End result is the same :smile:

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the relationships between heat and other forms of energy, such as work and temperature.

2. What is a thermodynamics problem?

A thermodynamics problem is a question or situation that involves the principles of thermodynamics, typically related to the transfer or conversion of energy.

3. How do you solve a thermodynamics problem?

To solve a thermodynamics problem, you must first identify the system and its boundaries, as well as the type of energy involved. Then, apply the laws of thermodynamics, such as the first and second laws, to analyze the energy transfer and determine the final state of the system.

4. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

5. Why are thermodynamics problems important?

Thermodynamics problems are important because they allow us to understand and predict how energy behaves in various systems, from simple heat engines to complex chemical reactions. This knowledge is crucial in many fields, including engineering, physics, and chemistry.