How Do Temperatures Change in Insulated Helium-Filled Cylinders?

In summary: PV/T = nR = constant, you should get:(3)\frac{V_{1f}}{V_{2f}} = \frac{T_{2}}{T_{1}}I misled you on this. If the connecting rod does not conduct heat, there is no transfer of heat from either chamber so this appears to be an adiabatic process, to which the adiabatic condition applies:PV^\gamma = constantSo you should get:\frac{V_2^{\gamma-1}}{V_1^{\gamma-1}} = \frac{T_1}{T_2} =
koolkuzz
Thermodynamics problem...

I am stuck on the following problem:

"Two well-insulated cylinders are placed as shown in Figure . The pistons in both cylinders are of identical construction.
The clearances between piston and wall are also made identical in both cylinders. The pistons and the connecting rod are
metallic.
Cylinder A is filled with gaseous helium at 2 bar and cylinder B is filled with gaseous helium at 1 bar. The temperature
is 300 K and the length L is 10 cm. Both pistons are only slightly lubricated.
The stops are removed. After all oscillations have ceased and the system is at rest, the pressures in both cylinders are,
identical.
1. Assuming that the gases are ideal with a constant Cv and assuming that the masses of the cylinder and pistons are
negligible (any energy changes of pistons and cylinders can be neglected), what are the final temperatures?
2. Consider the situation with well-insulated pistons and connecting rods of low thermal conductivity. What are the
final temperatures after the oscillations have ceased and the pressures have equalized?"

cylinder.JPG

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have tried to solve part 1 of the question,
I got the following so far:

When the stops are removed, then the system will keep hitting the side back and forth.
Hence work done by one piston will be equal to the work done on the other piston:
W=-W (negative since its the other direction)
since system is insulated, dU=dW and hence
U1=-U2
The internal energy U = CvdT and inputting this into above eq'n:
CvdT = -CvdT
Since the question assumes constant Cv, then:
dT = -dT
Change in temp in one cylinder will equal change in temperature in the second cylinder.

Thats all i have so far....not sure though:confused:

Anyone have any idea if I am on the right path, help needed!

In Q1, what is the significance of a metallic connecting rod ?

The metallic rod is basically used to transfer any heat produced from the oscillations from one piston to the other.

PArt 2 should be considered as an adiabatic reversible process due to the low thermal conductivity of the rods.

koolkuzz said:
I have tried to solve part 1 of the question,
I got the following so far:

When the stops are removed, then the system will keep hitting the side back and forth.
Hence work done by one piston will be equal to the work done on the other piston:
W=-W (negative since its the other direction)
since system is insulated, dU=dW and hence
U1=-U2
The internal energy U = CvdT and inputting this into above eq'n:
CvdT = -CvdT
Since the question assumes constant Cv, then:
dT = -dT
Change in temp in one cylinder will equal change in temperature in the second cylinder.
The total internal energy of the system does not change. The work done on cylinder 2 is:

[tex]W = \int_{vi}^{vf} Pdv = \int_{vi}^{vf} \frac{nRT}{V}dv [/tex]

If the two cylinders are thermally connected, as in the first question, what can you say about the temperature?

The second question is a little trickier. The total energy is conserved but this time the internal energy of the gas in each cylinder changes by the work done by or to it.

The incremental decrease in internal energy in cyl1 will be [itex]dU_1 = n_1CvdT_1 = PdV_1[/itex] and incremental increase in cyl2 is [itex]dU_2 = n_2CvdT_2 = PdV_2[/itex]. From that, keeping in mind that PdV is the same in each case and total energy does not change, you should be able to determine the change in temperature.

AM

I'm slighlty confused now, for Part A: what your trying to say is that the temperature in both cylinders are the same (300k), is that right?

For part B, what answer do you get for the temperatures?

koolkuzz said:
I'm slighlty confused now, for Part A: what your trying to say is that the temperature in both cylinders are the same (300k), is that right?
What do you think?

For part B, what answer do you get for the temperatures?
Well, see if you can work it out:

(1)[tex]nC_vT_1 + 2nC_vT_2 = U_f = U_i = 3nC_vT_i[/tex] and

(2)[tex]nC_v(T_1-T_i) = 2nC_v(T_2-T_i) [/tex]

and, using PV/T = nR = constant, you should get:

(3)[tex]\frac{V_{1f}}{V_{2f}} = \frac{T_{2}}{T_{1}}[/tex]AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
and, using PV/T = nR = constant, you should get:

(3)[tex]\frac{V_{1f}}{V_{2f}} = \frac{T_{2}}{T_{1}}[/tex]
I misled you on this. If the connecting rod does not conduct heat, there is no transfer of heat from either chamber so this appears to be an adiabatic process, to which the adiabatic condition applies:

[tex]PV^\gamma = constant[/tex]

So you should get:

[tex]\frac{V_2^{\gamma-1}}{V_1^{\gamma-1}} = \frac{T_1}{T_2} = [/tex] and

[tex]V_1^{\gamma} = 2V_2^{\gamma}[/tex]

This should enable you to solve it.

AM

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformations, particularly heat, work, and their interrelation with matter.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a pure, perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

3. What is an example of a thermodynamics problem?

An example of a thermodynamics problem is calculating the efficiency of a heat engine, which is a device that converts heat into mechanical work. This involves using the first and second laws of thermodynamics to determine the amount of energy input and output and calculating the ratio between the two.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature in thermodynamics?

Heat is the energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In thermodynamics, heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of that energy.

5. How is thermodynamics used in real-life applications?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications, such as in the design of engines, refrigeration systems, and power plants. It is also used in the study of weather patterns, ocean currents, and other natural phenomena. It is also crucial in the fields of chemistry, biology, and engineering.