1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics problem

1. Aug 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An Open container of volume V contains an ideal gas having molar mass M. If the temperature of the container is raised from T1 to T2, what mass of the gas will leave the container ? Assume that the gas pressure in the container is maintained at P.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried but failed. could anyone help me get the solution.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2008 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have to show your work in order to get help here. What have you tried? I can't find you mistake without seeing your work.

4. Aug 17, 2008 #3
    I had this exact question on my thermal physics paper, not sure if I got it right though.

As it is, I am currently redoing the paper so ive attempted this too.

From PV = nRT

n = m/M, where m is mass of substance, and M is molar mass.

so PV = (m/M)RT

rearrange: m = PVM/RT.
    That'll be the mass of the gas inside the container, I believe.

Not sure about the rest of it though, im sure there's stuff to do with V1/T1 = V2/T2, and ive had a play around with them but im not sure about a final answer.

5. Aug 28, 2008 #4
    Simply use the fact that because p,v are constant and pv=nrt,nt is constant,calculate initial moles from pv=nrt(p,v,t given,r is known).then calculate final no. of moles(again everything is given,(n1-n2)*M is the mass of the gas that left.
    If you dont get the answer by this,then the question is wrong or the answer given in the book is wrong.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?