1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics Problem

1. Sep 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [PLAIN]http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8541/cheme.png [Broken]

I am only looking for help in part a.

2. Relevant equations

PV = mRT

3. The attempt at a solution

By looking at the figure, I was able to calculate the volume of state 2, which is half of the volume of state 1.

V1 = (mRT1)/P1
    V1 = (5*0.287*573)/200
    V1 = 4.11 meters cubed

V2 = V1/2
    V2 = 2.06 meters cubed

However, in order to calculate the temperature by using the Ideal Gas Law, I need pressure first. How do I go about finding pressure? Is there an assumption I'm supposed to make first?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How does the pressure arise initially? Can you connect a property of the piston to the pressure?
  4. Sep 30, 2010 #3
    Well, I guess that since the piston does not exert a force on the air, the pressure stays the same throughout state 1 and 2?

Edit: Actually, the pressure arises from the weight of the piston and the atmospheric pressure. So since those two factors stay the same, the pressure is constant throughout states 1 and 2?
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  5. Sep 30, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The piston doesn't exert a force on the air? Or the piston exerts a constant force regardless of its height?
  6. Sep 30, 2010 #5
    Yeah I edited my post, because I realized that since the atmospheric pressure and the weight of the piston are constant, the pressure doesn't change from state 1 to state 2. Thanks for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook