Solve Thermodynamics Problem: 500g Copper Pipe & 4kg Water

In summary, the conversation discusses the final temperature when a 500g copper pipe at 300 degrees C is dropped into 4KG of water at 25 degrees C. The formula for change in internal energy (U) is mentioned, as well as the specific heat (s) and mass (m) needed to calculate heat transferred (Q). The speaker struggles to find the final temperature but eventually solves it using the formula for thermal equilibrium. The final temperature is determined to be 28.13 degrees C.
johnny_702
I know its not meant to be a hard question but I just can't get my head around it. A 500g copper pipe is heated to 300 degrees C, if it was dropped into 4KG of water (approx gallon) at 25 degreesC what will be the final temp?

Change in internal energy (U)=heat or energy transferred to object from a higher temp body(Q) + work done on the object(W)

Q= s*m*change in T
s= specific heat, mass in g and change of temp(T)

Ive been at this all day I am afraid and still no hope. All forms that I try to work through seem to need the final temp before I can go anywhere.

attempted 1*400*25 for Q of water then 0.092*500*300 for Q of copper, and then subtracting these and working back to find the final temp. But I think this only applies if the water is heated from 25 to 300 which I doubt will happen.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh wait I think I just got it... 28.13 degrees C.

From saying that when they are in thermal equalibrium

(0.092*500)*(300-t(final))=(1*4000)*(t(final)-25)

13800-46t=4000t-100000

and working from there until 113800/4046=t

=28.13C

btw my bad for putting this in advanced physics, although it seemed it was for a while to me!

1. How do I calculate the heat transfer in a thermodynamics problem involving a copper pipe and water?

To calculate the heat transfer in this scenario, you will need to use the formula Q = mCΔT, where Q is the heat transfer, m is the mass of the substance, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. In this case, you will need to calculate the heat transfer for both the copper pipe and the water separately and then add them together to get the total heat transfer.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of copper?

The specific heat capacity of copper is 0.385 J/g°C. This means that it takes 0.385 joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of copper by 1 degree Celsius.

3. How do I determine the change in temperature in a thermodynamics problem?

To determine the change in temperature, you will need to subtract the initial temperature from the final temperature. In this case, the initial temperature is the temperature of the water and copper pipe before any heat transfer occurs, and the final temperature is the temperature after the heat transfer.

4. Can I use the same formula for heat transfer in a thermodynamics problem involving different substances?

Yes, you can use the same formula for heat transfer (Q = mCΔT) for different substances. However, you will need to use the specific heat capacity of each substance in the calculation.

5. How do I know if my answer for the heat transfer in a thermodynamics problem is correct?

To ensure that your answer is correct, you can check if it follows the law of conservation of energy. This means that the amount of heat lost by one substance should be equal to the amount of heat gained by the other substance.