1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics Problem

1. Jan 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://books.google.com/books?id=oy...re in contact with hot and cold walls&f=false

the problem is number 1.55

2. Relevant equations

No equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I know that if it's in equilibrium that means the temperature of the rod should stop fluctuating. But I don't understand questions a. and exactly how to do it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You can argue from symmetry and uniformity of the material (copper cylinder) that the heat conductivity is constant from end to end of the rod. If so, how will the temperature vary along the rod? What's the temperature at the left end? How about the right end? The middle?

4. Jan 15, 2013 #3
    Wait, so if it's uniform and the heat conductivity is constant then shouldn't the temperature of the rod be warm past x to the right and be at it's equilibrium a little bit past the center towards the right?

5. Jan 15, 2013 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your description is not clear to me. Can you sketch the temperature profile you're picturing? Start at the left end of the rod and finish at its right end.

6. Jan 15, 2013 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Equilibrium" means every part of the rod is at a constant temperature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook