Thermodynamics Problem: Calculating Piston Heights in Connected Oil Tanks

In summary: The statement that the pistons are 'suspended' at some height from the base of the tank(s) is not clear.Does it mean the pistons form the upper bound of the cylinders, that their cross sectional areas are their respective cylinders area and that their weights add to the pressure in each cylinder? If so, the solution is pretty direct.The two equations you are asking for can be written as follows:rho(g)x +Ma(g)/Aa = Rho(g)y + Mb(g)/Abwhere rho(g) and Ma(g) are the densities of oil in kg/m3 and m^3, respectively.
rbarngrover
Two tanks filled with oil with density 860 kg/m3 are connected by a valve. Tank A has piston with 2.2 kg mass, cross sectional area of .02 m^3 and is suspended 1 m from the base of the tank. Tank B has a pistion mass of 1 kg, with cross sectional area .01 m^2 and is suspended .7m. when the valve is opened what are the final heights the two pistons are suspended.

I understand that Pressure of tank A has to equal Pressure tank B.

My main problem is i do not understand how i am suppose to correlate the two heights so i can solve for one of them. I tried have tank a height be x, then make tank b height be x-.3, but when u try and solve x cancels. Please would like to see how this is to go about being solved since most problems don't have the height's part of the problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
If need be i can draw and scan a diagram of the problem

A diagram might help.
The statement that the piston(s) are 'suspended' at some height from the base of the tank(s) is not clear.
Does it mean the pistons form the upper bound of the cylinders, that their cross sectional areas are their respective cylinders area and that their weights add to the pressure in each cylinder? If so, the solution is pretty direct.
(Assume the Tank A cross sectional area is 0.02m^2 that was typoed to 0.02m^3.)

Yes, that area would be the area of the respective cylinders and the pistons form upper bound of the tank so they add to pressure. I think it might help to say that the bases of each cylinder are on the same level if that helps.

before the tank valve is open the following equations determine pressure on each side of the valve...

Valve on side A: Pa = Po + Rho(g)(H) + (M(piston A)(g))/Area of a)
== ( 100000 + 860(9.81)(1) + 2.2(9.81)/.02 ) pascals

Valve on side B: Pb = Po + Rho(g)h + (M(piston b)(g))/Area of b
== ( 100000 + (860)(9.81)(.7) + (1)(9.81)/.01 ) PascalsI can see that once valve is opened that Po would not affect pressures since both are open to that atm, but after that i am kinda stuck with relating the two heights so i can solve for one.

Last edited:
DIagram of problem

OK, I sketched a diagram that would represent the problem and have it as an attachment.

Attachments

• Diagram of problem.png
    Diagram of problem.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 490
You have two pressures, one for A and one for B. When the valve is opened, will these pressures be equal or unequal?

How would you go about finding the final pressure in each cylinder?

Once valve is opened the two tanks should go to equilibrium pressure wise. Intuitively the volume from tank a would rush into tank B till equilibrium is reached.

rbarngrover said:
Once valve is opened the two tanks should go to equilibrium pressure wise. Intuitively the volume from tank a would rush into tank B till equilibrium is reached.
The other constraint you need to match is that the total volume of liquid in the two tanks must remain constant. Let x = final height of liquid in tank A and y = final height of liquid in tank B. Write an equation in terms of x and y such that the final and initial volumes of liquid in the two tanks remains constant. Write a second equation in terms of x and y such that the final pressures at the bottom of the two tanks are equal to one another. Solve for x and y.

Chet

I still not sure how this will work, But if i understand correctly...

Make tank A height x and Tank B height Y. Then Tank B = y = x - .3. is that what your talking about?

then Pressure tank A = x and Pressure tank B = y per say then x = y + difference between two pressures due to the pistons, such that x = y + 98.1? <--- I guess this comes from there being no liquid volume in the tanks

well wait is this what u meant...

since total volume has to equal .027 m^3 i can write equations in terms of x and y as

.027 = (.02)x + (.01)y

then use pressures equal so that

rho(g)x +Ma(g)/Aa = Rho(g)y + Mb(g)/Ab

from these two equations solve?

rbarngrover said:
well wait is this what u meant...

since total volume has to equal .027 m^3 i can write equations in terms of x and y as

.027 = (.02)x + (.01)y

then use pressures equal so that

rho(g)x +Ma(g)/Aa = Rho(g)y + Mb(g)/Ab

from these two equations solve?

Yes. Right on! Nice job.

ahh think I have it now with x = .896 m and y = .907 m. May i ask what made you think of coming up with two equations like that?

rbarngrover said:
ahh think I have it now with x = .896 m and y = .907 m. May i ask what made you think of coming up with two equations like that?
Just lots of modeling experience.

Chet

Two unknowns, you need two equations. You have a relationship between pressures, so you need to think of another relationship between the two. In this case, it's volume.

1. What are the basic laws of thermodynamics?

The three basic laws of thermodynamics are:
1) The First Law: Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.
2) The Second Law: The total entropy of an isolated system always increases over time, or remains constant in ideal cases where the system is in a steady state or undergoing a reversible process.
3) The Third Law: As the temperature of a perfect crystal approaches absolute zero, its entropy approaches a constant minimum.

2. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from a hotter object to a cooler object, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In other words, heat is energy in transit, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of heat.

3. What is enthalpy and how is it related to thermodynamics?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a thermodynamic system. It is equal to the internal energy of the system plus the product of pressure and volume. In thermodynamics, enthalpy is often used to describe the heat content of a system at constant pressure.

4. How do you calculate the efficiency of a heat engine?

The efficiency of a heat engine is calculated by dividing the output work by the input heat. In other words, it is the ratio of the useful work done by the engine to the total energy put into the engine.

5. What is an isothermal process?

An isothermal process is a thermodynamic process in which the temperature of the system remains constant throughout the process. This means that the heat added to the system is equal to the work done by the system, resulting in no change in internal energy. This type of process is often seen in ideal gas systems or in systems with good thermal insulation.