How much heat is required to melt 104g of ice at 0°C?

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics lab prelab question regarding the amount of heat needed to melt 104 grams of ice at 0° into 0° water. The latent heat of fusion for ice is provided and the student eventually solves the problem on their own.
coey
Hi again..

i've been working on my prelab for my physics lab, I've pretty much solved everything except for this last problem, if anyone could help me out, it'd be appreciated

thanks

Q1.

How much heat is needed for 104 grams of ice at 0° to melt into 0° water? The latent heat of fusion for ice is 3.33*105 J/kg or 3.33*102 J/g.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd hate to just give you a formula without seeing what you've tried. All of the heat is used in the phase change: the latent heat of fusion tells you how much heat is required to melt a given amount of ice. You are told how much ice you have. Does that make sense?

nevvver mind i got it... i don't even know why i asked it in the first place, thanks anyway though!

1. What is the definition of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, energy, and their transformations.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

3. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time, meaning that energy becomes less available for work as it is used up.

4. How is thermodynamics important in everyday life?

Thermodynamics is important in everyday life because it helps us understand and control the behavior of energy and matter in various systems, such as engines, refrigerators, and chemical reactions.

5. What are the three laws of thermodynamics?

The three laws of thermodynamics are the first law (law of conservation of energy), the second law (law of entropy), and the third law (law of absolute zero).