Calculating Thermodynamic Values for Different Processes

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of various values (q, w, ∆U, ∆H, ∆S) for different steps (A to B, B to C, C to A) in two different figures. The first figure shows an isothermal process for A to B, while the second figure's process is unknown. The speaker suggests calculating work by integrating the surface under the AB line, which can be broken down into a triangle and rectangle. The formula for calculating work is provided and the speaker mentions technical issues with the application.
atsum
The question is to calculate: q, w, ∆U, ∆H, ∆S for each step(A to B, B to C, C to A)

I know how to calculate the values on figure 1, but, how to calculate A to B on figure 2?

For A to B on figure 1, it is isothermal process, therefore, I can easy to find out the answer, but I don't know what is the process for A to B on figure 2.

Can anyone tell me what the condition difference (A to B) between figure 1 and 2?

Attachments

• 擷取.JPG
    擷取.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 445
Science news on Phys.org
atsum said:
For A to B on figure 1, it is isothermal process, therefore, I can easy to find out the answer, but I don't know what is the process for A to B on figure 2.

Can anyone tell me what the condition difference (A to B) between figure 1 and 2?

Hello.

You don't need to know what kind of process is between A and B on picture 2. You simply calculate work by integrating, or simpler, by calculating surface under the AB line. It is easy to calculate, because you have one right angled triangle and one rectangle. (i will do approximation: 1atm=10^5 Pa, a 1L=1dm^3=10^-3 m^3)

Surface of triangle is:

S(t)=\frac{pV}{2}=\frac{5*10^{5}Pa*4*10^{-3}m^{3}}{2}=1000J

Surface of rectangle is:

S(r)=pV=10^{5}Pa*4*10^{-3}m=400J

So, total work is W=S(t)+S(r)=1400J

And now you can calculate everything else.

P.S. I have some technical issues here.. you can copy these formula code into this application, and you will see it: http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

1. What is a PV diagram?

A PV diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume for a given system. It is often used in thermodynamics to visualize the changes in state of a gas.

2. How do you read a PV diagram?

To read a PV diagram, you need to look at the axes. The horizontal axis represents volume and the vertical axis represents pressure. Each point on the graph represents a specific state of the system, and the lines connecting these points represent the changes in state as the system undergoes a process.

3. What does the area under a PV diagram represent?

The area under a PV diagram represents the work done by the system. This is because work is equal to the force applied times the distance over which it is applied, and in a PV diagram, the force is represented by pressure and the distance is represented by volume.

4. How does a PV diagram relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

A PV diagram is a useful tool for understanding and applying the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the first and second laws. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. The second law states that the total energy in a closed system will always tend towards a state of maximum entropy or disorder. A PV diagram helps visualize these concepts by showing the changes in energy and entropy as a system undergoes a thermodynamic process.

5. What are some common applications of PV diagrams?

PV diagrams have various applications, such as in refrigeration and air conditioning systems, heat engines, and industrial processes. They are also used in the study of thermodynamics to analyze and predict the behavior of different systems. Additionally, PV diagrams are useful for understanding the behavior of gases and can be used to calculate important parameters such as work, heat, and efficiency.