Final Temperature of Coins?

In summary, the problem involves a student immersing 191 one-cent coins in boiling water and then transferring them to a container of water at a lower temperature. The final temperature of the coins is unknown and must be solved for using the specific heat capacities of the coins and water. The equations Q=mc(deltaT) and Q1+Q2=0 are used to set up a system of equations to solve for the final temperature, with the assumption that the final temperatures of the coins and water are equal. The final temperature is found to be less than 100 degrees C.
jcwhitts

Homework Statement

In a physics lab experiment a student immersed 191 one-cent coins (each having a mass of 3.00 g) in boiling water, at a temperature of 100 degrees C. After they reached thermal equilibrium, she fished them out and dropped them into an amount of water of mass 0.275 kg at a temperature of 17.0 degrees C in an insulated container of negligible mass.

What was the final temperature of the coins? (One-cent coins are made of a metal alloy - mostly zinc - with a specific heat capacity of 390 J/(kg * K).)

Use 4190 J/(kg* K) for the heat capacity of the water.

Homework Equations

Q=mc(deltaT)

Q1 + Q2=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where you can get a workable system of equations from this problem. I tried finding the Q of the coins, which I found to be Q=(191*.003kg)(390)(T-100) where T=the final temperature of the coins. And the Q of Water: Q=(.275)(4190)(T-17).

You also know that the Q of water and the Q of the coins must be equal to 0 because they are in an insulated container.

Because the water is heated and the coins are cooled, you know that the Q for water is positive and that Qwater=Qcoins, However, they have different final temperatures and I'm not sure how to find one in terms of the other so I can solve the equation I've come up with. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if you did it on purpose or by accident, but you used the same letter T in both equations. Is it really the same? If not, use a different letter. But if you can argue they are, you can set Qwater = Qcoins which gives you: 191*0.003*390*(T - 100) = 0.275*4190*(T - 100) and solve for T (one equation, one unknown).

You can't assume the final temperatures are the same, sorry. So Qcoins=Qwater but
(191*.003)(390)(R-100)=.275(4190)(T-17)

I guess you can assume the final temperatures are equal. I think it was a problem with my signs in that I overcompensated for the fact that the coins lose heat, so they have a negative value for Q. The final temperature will obviously be less than 100 so I suppose that accounts for the sign change.

1. What is the formula for calculating heat transfer in thermodynamics?

The formula for calculating heat transfer in thermodynamics is Q=mc(deltaT), where Q represents the heat transferred, m represents the mass of the object, c represents the specific heat capacity of the material, and deltaT represents the change in temperature.

2. What does the term "specific heat capacity" mean in the thermodynamic formula?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one unit of mass of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is a measure of how easily a material can absorb and retain heat.

3. How does the mass of an object affect the heat transfer in thermodynamics?

The mass of an object directly affects the heat transfer in thermodynamics. The larger the mass, the more heat is needed to raise its temperature. This is because a larger mass requires more energy to change its temperature compared to a smaller mass.

4. What is the significance of the change in temperature in the thermodynamic formula?

The change in temperature, represented by deltaT, is an important factor in the thermodynamic formula as it indicates the direction of heat flow. A positive deltaT means heat is being transferred to the object, while a negative deltaT means heat is being transferred away from the object.

5. How is the thermodynamic formula used in real-world applications?

The thermodynamic formula is used in various real-world applications, such as designing heating and cooling systems, determining the energy efficiency of buildings, and calculating the energy required for chemical reactions. It is also used in industries like power generation, refrigeration, and air conditioning to optimize energy usage and costs.