Solve Thermodynamics Question on Electric Wire with Plastic Cover

In summary: The surface convective heat transfer coefficent does come into it. The higher the surface convective heat transfer coefficent, the more heat will be transferred through the insulation. This will increase the temperature difference through the insulation.
nickbone59
Hey, have been working on this question for about 2 weeks now and can't crack it, I found a formula on the net which gives me a value of just over 30C, i am not confident i have the correct value though. It just seems too low. I anyone could point me in the right direction with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Q1)

A high conductivity electric wire, diameter 3 mm and length 10m, is tightly wrapped with a plastic cover of thickness 1mm and thermal conductivity 0.15W/(mK). Electrical measurements indicate that as a current of 10A passes through the wire, there is a voltage drop 6V along the wire. The insulated wire is exposed to ambient conditions at a temperature of 30C with a surface convective heat transfer coefficent of 12W/(m^2K).
Neglecting any temperature variation across the wire cross-section,

i)calculate the temperature at the interface of the wire and the plastic cover under steady state operation.

ii)measurements indicate that the rate of heat loss from the wire increases rather than decreases as the insulation thickness increases. an the measurements be correct. Explain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Heat generation in a resistive wire

Per unit volume : I^2R/Pi r0^2 L

= 100x0.442/pi x1.5^(2)x10^-3 x 10
=44.2/70.685x10^-6
=625446.7909

Surface Temperature:

To = T infinity + (g ro^2)/4k
= 303 + 62544.7909 x ((3x10^-3)^2/4x0.15)
= 303.938k
= 30.94c

Physics news on Phys.org
Power loss in the wire is P = IV = 60w/10m = 6W/m, this is the heat into the insulator. You can work out the surface area of 1m of wire, and so the heat loss from the outer cover.
The temperature of the outer and the conductivity of the insulator is known - so you know the temperature difference through the insulator.

Part 2 - what happens to the temperature of anything as the insulation is increased? What happens to the resistance of a wire when the temperature increases? What does changing the resistance of the wire do to the power?

thank you

thanks that's a great help, hopefully i can suss it out now, thanks again.

actually i am still a bit unsure on how i calculate the temperature difference through the insulator from the temperature of the outer and the conductivity.

The conductivity of the insulator is 0.15W/(mK) with a thickness of 1mm.
So for every 150W ( ie 0.15/0.001) of power transferred through the insulation will give a temperature difference of 1K. In the stable state the power into the wire must equal the heat flow through the insulation.

i still don't understand? what your saying just doesn't make sense? Does the surface convective heat transfer coefficent not come into it?

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, work, and energy. It studies the behavior of systems and how they undergo changes in temperature, pressure, and volume.

2. How does the plastic cover on an electric wire affect its thermodynamic properties?

The plastic cover on an electric wire acts as an insulator, preventing the flow of heat and electricity. This allows the wire to maintain a constant temperature and reduces the energy loss through conduction and convection.

3. How is the heat transfer determined in a wire with a plastic cover?

The heat transfer in a wire with a plastic cover is determined by its thermal conductivity, which is a measure of how well a material conducts heat. The lower the thermal conductivity, the better the insulation and the lower the heat transfer.

4. Why is it important to consider thermodynamics in the design of electric wires with plastic covers?

Thermodynamics is important in the design of electric wires with plastic covers because it helps to ensure the efficiency and safety of the wires. By understanding how heat and energy are transferred, the design can be optimized to minimize energy loss and reduce the risk of overheating or electrical hazards.

5. Can the plastic cover on an electric wire affect its electrical properties?

Yes, the plastic cover can affect the electrical properties of an electric wire. As an insulator, it can influence the wire's resistance and capacitance, which in turn affects its ability to conduct electricity. The type and thickness of the plastic cover can also impact the wire's flexibility and durability.