1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics question: density, linear expansion and temp

1. Apr 1, 2015 #1
    An object has a density of 1250 kg m3 at 10C and a coefficient of linear expansion of α = 2.5 × 10−5 1 /K . What is the object’s density when the temperature is 25C?

I have tried using the equation ΔL=αL° ΔT but this equation has nothing to do with density.

the answer should be: 1248.6

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2015 #2
    This is a volume mass density, which should have units of mass / volume. The expansion of the object is not restricted to one dimension.

This is not true. Any change in dimensions will be accompanied by a change in density. Why is this? Is the object's mass changing? How are density and volume related? Is there an equation that fits better for a change in volume?

Good luck.

4. Apr 1, 2015 #3
    Ok thanks! So you could use the equation β=3α and then use the volume expansion formula. The equation that relates density to volume is ρ=M/V... but you don;t know what the mass is.

5. Apr 1, 2015 #4
    Did you try expressing the volume expansion formula in terms of ρ instead of V? You should find a result that is independent of the object's mass.

6. Apr 1, 2015 #5
    [QUO TE="uselesslemma, post: 5061484, member: 542831"]Did you try expressing the volume expansion formula in terms of ρ instead of V? You should find a result that is independent of the object's mass.[/QUOTE]

Ok so you go....
    V=3αVΔT
    =3αΔTM/ρ
    =3(2.5*10-5)(298-283)M/1250
    =9.0*10-7M

Am I on the right track?

7. Apr 1, 2015 #6
    Check the correctness of this equation by comparing to the one you provided for linear expansion. V should not cancel algebraically...otherwise how would you find ρ?

8. Apr 2, 2015 #7
    So I ended up using the equation V=(1+β(Tf-Ti)) Vi and substituting v=m/ρ which gave me the right answer!

Thanks for your help!

9. Apr 2, 2015 #8
    Why did you do "1+" in your formula?

10. Apr 2, 2015 #9
    I'm not really sure.... it was on a sheet my professor handed out it's suppose to be a parametrization for the volume or something it should have actually have been written as V(T)≈(1+β(Δt))V0

11. Apr 2, 2015 #10
    This looks correct to me.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted