Thermodynamics question help? is this right?

In summary, the thermal efficiency of a boiler is determined by the Q out /Q in equation. The Q out is the power that is used to heat the water, while Q in is the power supplied to the boiler to produce the steam.
Aaron9890
Thermodynamics question help?? is this right??

Homework Statement

A boiler is supplied with water at a rate of 0.3 kg/s through a pipe of diameter 50mm

a) calculate the energy per second that must be supplied to the boiler,raising the water temperature to 100C, when the water is supplied at 15C

b) If the input power to the boiler is 3.1GJ/h, Calculate the efficiency of the boiler and heat transfer process

The density of water - 1000kg/m^3
specific heat capacity for water - 4.7kj/kgK
latent heat evaporation for water - 2.26MJj /kg
steam pipe outside diameter - 55mm
steam pipe wall thickness - 2.5mm
modulus of elasticity for steel - 210GPA
coefficient of linear expansion of steel - 18 x 10^-6/C

Homework Equations

Q = MCAO + ML (mass flow rate x heat capacity x change in temp) + (mass flow rate x latent heat for evaporation of water)

Thermal efficiency = Q out / Q in

The Attempt at a Solution

M = 0.3 kg/s
c = 4.7 KJ/kgK in J = 4700J/kgK
AO = 100C - 15C = 85C
L -= 2.26MJ/KgK in J = 2260000J/kgK

so Q = MCAO + ML
Q = (0.3)x(4700)x(85) + (0.3) x (2260000)
Q = 797 850 J/s or 0.79785MJ/s

Thermal Efficency = Qout / Qin
Thermal Efficency = 797.850J / 3100000000J
=? (please help me out on this one)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hint: Watch your units.

for the efficiency??

Hint: Look at the numeric information given in the problem statement more closely.

all the values in the list there are at the bottom of the page i have, they are for a number of questions, i think there are 6 but only some will apply for this question. So i don't have to use them all!

Aaron9890 said:
all the values in the list there are at the bottom of the page i have, they are for a number of questions, i think there are 6 but only some will apply for this question. So i don't have to use them all!

Good, 'cause you can toss that one out.

c = 4.7 KJ/kgK in J = 4700J/kgK
L -= 2.26MJ/KgK in J = 2260000J/kgK

did i transpose on of these wrong

Well, there's a question here. Is the water just raised to 100oC or is it then changed to steam at 100oC? The question doesn't say. If the former, do you need L? (I suppose 'boiler' does imply steam but who knows ...)

Anyway, like Lawrence told you - watch your units. What should the units of L be, assuming you need L in the first place?

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It also involves the transfer of energy between systems and the conversion of energy from one form to another.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy and its transformation in a closed system. There are four laws, with the first law stating that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero. The fourth law states that it is impossible to reach absolute zero temperature through a finite number of processes.

3. How is thermodynamics applied in real-world situations?

Thermodynamics is applied in various fields, such as engineering, chemistry, and biology. It is used to design and optimize energy systems, such as engines and power plants, to ensure maximum efficiency. It is also used in chemical reactions and processes, such as in the production of fuels and plastics. In biology, thermodynamics is used to understand the energy transfer and metabolism in living organisms.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature in thermodynamics?

Heat is the transfer of energy from a hotter object to a colder object, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In other words, heat is the energy being transferred, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of that heat.

5. Can thermodynamics be violated?

The laws of thermodynamics are considered to be fundamental laws of nature and have been extensively tested and proven to be true. Therefore, it is not possible to violate the laws of thermodynamics in any physical process. However, there are certain systems that may seem to violate the laws, but they are due to incomplete information or assumptions made in the analysis of the system.