Thermodynamics question i dont get

In summary, the conversation discusses using electromagnetic radiation to measure temperatures and how the intensity profile of the radiation is affected by wavelength and temperature. The problem asks for the temperature corresponding to a wavelength of 0.107 cm, which can be found by using the equation ΛT = 0.2898cm K and solving for T. The final answer is given in degrees Kelvin.
ice87
I got this question as part of an assignment. I read the section of the textbook that we were supposed to, and couldn't find anything to help me with, so here goes:

To measure temperatures, physicists and astronomers often use the variation of intensity of electromagnetic radiation emitted by an object. The wavelength at which the intensity is greatest is given by the equation ΛT = 0.2898cm K, where T is the object temperature in Kelvins. In 1965, microwave radiation peaking at Λ = 0.107 was discovered coming in all directions from space. To which temperature does this correspond?

Physics news on Phys.org
What part do you not understand? The radiation has a certain intensity profile, it radiates light (or photons) more at certain frequencies (or wavelengths) for a given temperature, so the intensity of the radiation is a function of wavelength and temperature.
You have been given that this profile has a single peak, and that the relation between temperature and the wavelength with maximum intensity is [itex]\Lambda T = 0.2898 cmK[/itex] where [itex]\Lambda[/itex] is the wavelength in cm.

I don't get what I'm supposed to do. We haven't even had one lecture on this. Am I to give a definite number value for the temperature? I did this : 0.2898cmK/0.107cm and got 2.7K, am I on the right track?

"To which temperature does this correspond?"

Yep, that's pretty much asking for one number! (And a temperature at that!)

You are told that [itex]\Lambda T = 0.2898 cmK[/itex]
and you are given that [itex]\Lambda[/itex]= 0.107.
(Surely the problem said 0.107 cm?)

Looks to me like 0.107T= 0.2898 cmK so that T= (0.298 cmK)/(0.107 cm) giving an answer in degrees Kelvin. Yes, that's your answer.

(Assuming that [itex]\Lambda[/itex]= 0.107 cm. You might want to check that it wasn't really mm or microns or something like that!)

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy between two objects, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles within an object. In other words, heat is the energy being transferred, while temperature is a measure of how hot or cold something is.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any natural process, the total entropy of the universe will always increase, meaning that the disorder and randomness of a system will always increase over time.

What is the difference between an open, closed, and isolated system?

An open system allows both matter and energy to be exchanged with its surroundings, a closed system only allows for the exchange of energy, and an isolated system does not allow for any exchange of matter or energy with its surroundings.

How can thermodynamics be applied in real-life situations?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications, such as in the design of engines and refrigeration systems, understanding the Earth's climate and weather patterns, and in chemical reactions and industrial processes. It also helps us understand the behavior of materials and their phase changes, such as melting and freezing.