Thermodynamics Question (Maxwell Equal Area Construct)

In summary, the problem at hand involves using Maxwell's equal area construction to find Psat and the corresponding saturation volumes at a temperature of 400K for n-hexane based on the Van der Waals equation of state. The Antoine equation is used to find Psat, and the "find" function in MathCad may not be necessary. The temperature range for the Psat function will depend on the accuracy of the equations used.
dweeegs

Homework Statement

The problem is a long one. Basically we have to use Maxwell's Equal Area Construction. "With Mathcad, find Psat and the corresponding saturation volumes at T=400K for n-hexane based on the van der Waals' equation of state. Furthermore, turn Psat into a function of temperature T, i.e., define Psat(T) and identify the temperature range within which your Psat function works. Plot Psat versus T"

Homework Equations

Work done through a hypothetical reversible path under "dome" = Work done by expanding at constant Psat across "dome"

∫P(V)*dV = Psat*(Vv-Vl)dV

Equivalently, two areas enclosed by Psat and P(V) are equal; thus, the name "Maxwell's equal areas rule".

∫(Psat-P(V))*dV = ∫(P(V)-Psat)*dV

The integrals are from Vl to Vm, and Vm to Vv, respectively

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is all done with MathCad. First I defined all the parameters for Van der Waals (what Tc, Pc, a, and b were... and eventually what the filled in Van der Waals equation was). I have a couple questions...

Should I use Antoine Equation to find Psat? I did that already and found what Psat was at there temperature specified.

Secondly, I think I have to use the "find" function in MathCad. I'm definitely doing something wrong. I defined the second integral in the given equations and use a Bullian equal sign. I set up a matrix where each solution was a row, and then did find(Vv, Vl) to no avail.

Can someone please shed some light?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! It sounds like you have a good start on this problem. To answer your first question, yes, you should use the Antoine equation to find Psat. This equation is commonly used to estimate the vapor pressure of a substance at a given temperature.

As for using the "find" function in MathCad, this may not be necessary. Instead, you can use the Maxwell's equal area construction to find Psat and the corresponding saturation volumes. This involves plotting the pressure-volume curve for the Van der Waals equation and finding the two areas that are equal, as described in the equations you provided.

Once you have found Psat and the corresponding saturation volumes, you can define Psat as a function of temperature T using the Antoine equation. This will give you a relationship between Psat and T that you can use to plot Psat versus T.

As for the temperature range within which your Psat function works, this will depend on the accuracy of the Antoine equation and the Van der Waals equation. You may need to do some additional research or calculations to determine this range.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your problem!

1. What is the Maxwell Equal Area Construct?

The Maxwell Equal Area Construct is a graphical method used to determine the equilibrium states of a thermodynamic system. It is based on the principle that the total area enclosed by the curve on a pressure-volume graph represents the net work done by the system during a process.

2. How does the Maxwell Equal Area Construct work?

The Maxwell Equal Area Construct involves dividing the pressure-volume curve into two equal areas by drawing a line parallel to the x-axis. The points where this line intersects the curve represent the two equilibrium states of the system. The areas above and below the line represent the work done by the system during expansion and compression, respectively.

3. What is the significance of the Maxwell Equal Area Construct?

The Maxwell Equal Area Construct is significant because it allows us to determine the equilibrium states of a thermodynamic system without knowing the exact equation of state. It is also useful in analyzing and predicting the behavior of real gases, which do not always follow the ideal gas law.

4. Can the Maxwell Equal Area Construct be used for all types of thermodynamic processes?

No, the Maxwell Equal Area Construct is only applicable to reversible processes. For irreversible processes, the area under the pressure-volume curve does not represent the work done by the system, and therefore, the construct cannot be used.

5. How is the Maxwell Equal Area Construct related to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Maxwell Equal Area Construct is related to the Second Law of Thermodynamics because it is based on the principle of conservation of energy, which is a fundamental aspect of the Second Law. It also helps us understand and visualize the balance of work done and heat exchanged during a thermodynamic process, which is another important concept in the Second Law.