1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics question - please help

1. Apr 2, 2009 #1
    Thermodynamics question -- please help

A monatomic, ideal gas undergoes 4 steps, all reversible

1) At initially 293 K and 1 atm, it is let freely expand into a vacuum, tripling the volume.
    2) It is then heated to 393 K, keeping V constant.
    3) It is then let expand adiabatically, doubling the volume.
    4) It is then warmed up to 293 K in an isobaric manner.

-----

To calculate the total change in U, S_sys, and H values do I add the values for each step or just take step 4 minus step 1? I realize they are state functions, but this isn't a chemical reaction per se, just a series of physical processes. Plus, the change in U for #1 is zero, and for #4 it is nonzero. I assume that even though U is a state function, I don't take change in U for #4 minus change in U for #1 since that would not be zero. Since the temperature is the same, it is isothermic and ideal and therefore the change in U must be zero. Thus, adding the state function values for each step results in what I imagine is the correct answer. Is this correct? I'm not sure about the line of reasoning so I'd appreciate some help...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Thermodynamics question -- please help

A state function is a state function; you can look at the end value only (compare #4 to #1) or move from #1 to #4 step by step. What would be the problem with a nonzero change in U?

By the way, it's a contradiction to describe #1 as reversible. Reversible means, among other things, that the pressure on the other side of an expanding boundary is equal. Free expansion into a vacuum is irreversible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook