Thermodynamics Question (Power Output)

In summary: W = 120 kW - 80 kg/min * 435 kJ/kgm = 120 kW - 34.8 MJ/min = 120 kW - 34.8 MW/min = 120 kW - 34.8 MW/min = 120 kW - 34.8 MW/min = 120 kW - 34.8 MW/min = 120 kW - 34.8 MW/min = 460 kWIn summary, to solve this problem, we use the energy balance equation and the ideal gas law to find the work output of the steam turbine. We know the heat input and the specific enthalpy of the steam entering and leaving the turbine, and we can assume that
WA2000
This is not really homework, it's just something I don't understand and I will be assessed on it soon, so I need some help on it. First off our teacher is the worst teacher you will ever encounter, he gives us the solution but doesn't tell us how (tells us to figure it out ourselves). I tried looking at books but all of them are for advanced thermodynamics (Our thermodynamics is introductary, it's all in pre-calculas level), I really don't understand it and I really need help on this. I'm in semester 3 in the Mechanical Engineering Diploma program at the Australian College in Kuwait.

A steam turbine takes in steam with specific enthalpy 3095 kJ/kgm at a rate of 80 kg/min. The steam leaves the turbine with specific enthalpy 2660 kJ/kg. If heat losses from the turbine are 120 kW, Determine the power output. (Assume that kinetic-energy and potential energy changes are negligible).

All he has given us so far are these equations:
Q-W =H2-H1
Q-W= U2-U1
H= U+pV
H2-H1 =mc(T2-T1)

3. I know for a fact that the answer is 460 kW, But how do you get the answer, can you explain it please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you need to solve this problem is the energy balance equation: Q - W = H₂ - H₁where Q is the heat input, W is the work output, H₂ is the specific enthalpy of the steam leaving the turbine, and H₁ is the specific enthalpy of the steam entering the turbine.We can also use the ideal gas law to convert the specific enthalpy into temperature. The equation for this is: H = U + pVwhere U is the internal energy, p is the pressure, and V is the specific volume.Using these equations, we can solve for the work output of the turbine: W = Q - (H₂ - H₁) = Q - [mc(T₂ - T₁)] = Q - m[(U₂ + pV₂) - (U₁ + pV₁)] = Q - m[U₂ + pV₂ - U₁ - pV₁]Where m is the mass flow rate of the steam and c is the specific heat capacity of the steam.We know that the heat input to the turbine is 120 kW, and the mass flow rate of the steam is 80 kg/min. We also know from the problem statement that the specific enthalpy of the steam entering and leaving the turbine are 3095 kJ/kgm and 2660 kJ/kgm respectively.Plugging all the known values into the equation, we get: W = 120 kW - 80 kg/min * [(3095 kJ/kgm - 2660 kJ/kgm) - (U₂ + pV₂ - U₁ - pV₁)] = 120 kW - 80 kg/min * (435 kJ/kgm - (U₂ + pV₂ - U₁ - pV₁))We can assume that U₂, U₁, pV₂, and pV₁ are negligible compared to the 435 kJ/kgm, so we can simplify the equation to

1. What is the definition of power output in thermodynamics?

Power output in thermodynamics refers to the rate at which energy is transferred or converted from one form to another. It is typically measured in watts (W) and represents the amount of work that can be done per unit of time.

2. How is power output related to thermodynamic processes?

Power output is a key concept in thermodynamics as it helps to quantify the efficiency of a thermodynamic process. It is directly related to the change in energy (ΔE) of a system over a period of time (Δt), and is represented by the equation P = ΔE/Δt. This means that the higher the power output, the more work can be done in a given amount of time.

3. What factors affect the power output of a thermodynamic system?

The power output of a thermodynamic system can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type and amount of energy input, the efficiency of the conversion process, and the size and design of the system. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and the properties of the working fluid can also impact the power output.

4. How is power output different from efficiency in thermodynamics?

While power output and efficiency are closely related, they are not the same thing. Efficiency refers to the ratio of output work to input energy, while power output is a measure of the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. In other words, efficiency measures how well a system converts energy, while power output measures how quickly it can do so.

5. Can the power output of a thermodynamic system be increased?

Yes, the power output of a thermodynamic system can be increased by optimizing the design and components of the system, increasing the efficiency of energy conversion processes, and utilizing more efficient energy sources. However, there are limitations based on the laws of thermodynamics, such as the Carnot efficiency limit, which states that no system can have an efficiency of 100%.