Thermodynamics atmospheric pressure Question

In summary: The entropy change of air is equal to the change in temperature multiplied by the change in volume. The entropy change of 1 liter of air is equal to the change in temperature multiplied by the change in volume.
benjibutton

Homework Statement

A liter of air, initially at room temperature and atmospheric pressure, is heated at constant pressure until it doubles in volume. Calculate the increase in its entropy during this process.

so Ti= 300K, Volume which is 2Vi=Vf; Pressure is constant

Homework Equations

ΔS @constant pressure is = ∫Cp/T dT (where Ti -> Tf

The Attempt at a Solution

so since I don't know what T is but I know how the volume changes is there a way I can relate it? is it just PV=nkT so use V as an analog to gauge the proportional change in T? so would that give me something like Cp*Ln[2]?

Physics news on Phys.org
But you do know what T is - it's the temperature. You mean you are not told what the final temperature is?
Then - yes - you would need to draw information in from another source - the equation you are using for entropy change is for an ideal gas, so it seems reasonable to use the ideal gas law to relate temperature and volume. Unless you have some notes about how air behaves?

http://www.thebigger.com/chemistry/...anges-of-an-ideal-gas-in-different-processes/

Yeah, sorry; the final T is unknown. So do I write it as Ln[Tf/Ti]? where Tf= 2PVi/Nk ? how do I solve for N?

OK, I think I figured it out. I got it to be Tf=600K so it becomes 5/2*R*Ln(600K/300K)

benjibutton said:
OK, I think I figured it out. I got it to be Tf=600K so it becomes 5/2*R*Ln(600K/300K)
What happened to n? Your answer is for 1 mole, not 1 liter.

wouldn't n be the same for both sides of the ideal gas law, which would lead them to cancel out?

I also never had n, so I assumed you hold is constant, which would still give me the same result, since all other variables are held constant. Unless there's something else I'm missing.

At constant pressure $$\frac{PV_f=nRT_f}{PV_i=nRT_i}\implies \frac{V_f}{V_i} = \frac{T_f}{T_i}$$ ... it's a law that got named after someone.
It means you don't actually have to calculate the temperatures here if you know the volumes.

Of course you can also look up the molar density of air "at room temperature and atmospheric pressure".

benjibutton said:
wouldn't n be the same for both sides of the ideal gas law, which would lead them to cancel out?
Does it make sense to you that the change in entropy of 1 mole of gas is the same as the change in 1 liter? Your formula gave the change for 1 mole. So figure out how many moles in 1 liter of air at STP.

Your formula for ΔS = Cp ln(T2/T1) is correct. But Cp = ncp and you only hav cp. BTW air is essentially a diatomic gas for which cp ~ (7/2)R.

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of heat, energy, and their relationship to work and other forms of energy.

2. How does atmospheric pressure affect thermodynamics?

Atmospheric pressure plays a significant role in thermodynamics as it affects the boiling and melting points of substances, which in turn affects their thermodynamic properties such as enthalpy and entropy.

3. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to thermodynamics?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and the number of particles in a gas. It is often used in thermodynamics to calculate the properties of ideal gases.

4. How does the first law of thermodynamics apply to atmospheric pressure?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In the context of atmospheric pressure, this means that the energy present in the atmosphere cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred to or from other systems.

5. How does atmospheric pressure affect weather patterns?

Atmospheric pressure plays a crucial role in determining weather patterns as it affects the movement of air masses and the formation of weather systems such as high and low-pressure systems. Changes in atmospheric pressure can also indicate changes in weather conditions.