What is the Time Required to Boil Away 1.0kg of Ice Using 900W of Power?

In summary, it will take 900 watts of power to boil away the ice in a pot on a stove that is producing heat.
LGS1970

Homework Statement

You have 1.0kg of ice at 0.0 deg C in a pot on a stove that produces 900 W of power. Assuming that the pot and the stove are 'perfect' (i.e., no heat lost) and ignoring the heat capacity of the pot, compute the time it will take for this ice to boil away completely.

Homework Equations

Power * time = Mass * Specific Heat * Temperature (or maybe change in temp?!)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation above ^ and used the specific heat for ice of 2106 J/(kg/K) and 4218 j/(kg/K) for liquid. but I don't think this is right because what would the change in temp be for the ice to liquid phase and vapor to completely gone phase? Really confused

Physics news on Phys.org
first off do you understand that 1 watt = 1J/s ? - meaning that a stove with 1 watt produces 1 joule of energy per second.
so now forget about the stove
how much energy (joules) do you need to boil the water?

equation for change of state does not have change in temp, just becase there is no change in temperature does not mean you don't have to expend energy (joules) to make the state transition, makes sense no?

furthermore for state changes the constant is not called "specifc heat" its caled enthalpy of fusion

I do not know that's what the question says. I have no idea how many joules it takes to boil away completely. If i did I would have the question finished lol

LGS1970 said:
I do not know that's what the question says. I have no idea how many joules it takes to boil away completely. If i did I would have the question finished lol
you must divde the question into parts:
how much enrgy do you need to transform the water from ice to liquid;
how much energy do you need to heat said (now liquid) water from 0 to 100 degrees celsius;
and finally how much energy to transform the water from liquid to gas.

just to complete my previous answer, you use the specifc heat of ice to know the energy you need to heat ice (say from -20º to -10), you use the enthalpy of fusion to figure out how much energy you need to turn that block of ice to liquid water (once ice is at 0º), understand?

Last edited:

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the study of how energy is transferred and transformed within a system. It deals with the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

There are three main laws of thermodynamics: the first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a pure, perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

3. What are the different types of thermodynamic systems?

There are three types of thermodynamic systems: closed, open, and isolated. A closed system can exchange energy, but not matter, with its surroundings. An open system can exchange both energy and matter with its surroundings. An isolated system cannot exchange either energy or matter with its surroundings.

4. How is thermodynamics used in real-life applications?

Thermodynamics is used in a variety of real-life applications, including power plants, refrigeration systems, engines, and air conditioning. It also plays a crucial role in understanding weather patterns and climate change.

5. What is the difference between heat and temperature in thermodynamics?

Heat is the transfer of energy from a hotter object to a colder object, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. In thermodynamics, heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of heat.