Thermodynamics questions about beer and carbonation

In summary: The amount of CO2 that can be released depends on factors such as the temperature and volume of the beer and the amount of CO2 dissolved in it. While there is no specific constant for the amount of CO2 that can be released, this phenomenon can be explained using thermodynamics principles. In summary, when two beer bottles are hit together, the bottom one overflows due to a sudden increase in pressure caused by the impact, which causes the CO2 to come out of solution.
millatime19
Why does, when you hit two beer bottles together (one on top of the other) the bottom one overflows? Now I know that the CO2 is released when the beer hits the bottom of the bottle, causing a jump in pressure, but i really want to know why. I was wondering if anyone knows of any real equations because everything in my undergrad physics book is plainly the first and second laws of thermo.

here is a specific link about what I am talking about.

Im more or less wondering if there is a specific constant for the amount of CO2 that can be released, or other variables like the temperature or volume. I mean I understand all the main points of thermodynamics, I just can't necessarially put an equation together myself...

Thanks guys,

(I am new here, so if there is anything I'm doing incorrectly in these forums, let me know!)

-Millatime19

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
When two beer bottles are hit together, the bottom one overflows because the impact causes a sudden increase in pressure inside the bottle, which then causes the gas (CO2) dissolved in the beer to come out of solution. This increase in pressure can be represented mathematically by the ideal gas law, which states that PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of the gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the absolute temperature. As the temperature remains relatively constant, the only variable that changes is the pressure, which increases and causes the CO2 to come out of solution.

1. What is the role of thermodynamics in the carbonation process of beer?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in the carbonation process of beer. It helps us understand how gases dissolve in liquids, and how temperature and pressure affect this process. This knowledge is essential in determining the ideal conditions for carbonation in beer production.

2. How does temperature affect the level of carbonation in beer?

Temperature plays a significant role in the carbonation of beer. As temperature increases, the solubility of carbon dioxide decreases, resulting in a decrease in the level of carbonation. On the other hand, colder temperatures increase the solubility of carbon dioxide, leading to higher levels of carbonation.

3. Can the carbonation level of beer be controlled?

Yes, the carbonation level of beer can be controlled by adjusting the temperature and pressure during the carbonation process. Different beer styles require different levels of carbonation, so it is essential to carefully monitor and adjust these factors to achieve the desired level.

4. Is there a difference in carbonation between bottled and draft beer?

Yes, there can be a difference in carbonation between bottled and draft beer. Bottled beer is typically carbonated using a forced carbonation method, where carbon dioxide is injected into the beer under pressure. On the other hand, draft beer is usually carbonated naturally through secondary fermentation in the keg, resulting in a smoother and more natural carbonation.

5. How long does carbonation last in beer?

The carbonation in beer can last for varying amounts of time, depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and storage conditions. Generally, canned or bottled beer can maintain its carbonation for several months, while draft beer can last for a few weeks to a few months. However, once a beer is opened, the carbonation will begin to dissipate, and the beer should be consumed within a few days for optimal taste and carbonation levels.