1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics Questions

1. Jan 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I got a set of problems to do and there are a few I am having trouble with: (edit: I had more questions before but I figured them out)

1. A hypothetical substance has an isothermal compressibilty [tex]\kappa[/tex]=a/v and an expansivity [tex]\beta[/tex]=2bT/v, where a and b are constants, and v is the specific volume.
    a) Show that the equation of state is given by v-bt2 + aP=constant
    b) If at a pressure P0 and temperature T0, the specific volume is v0, evaluate the constant.

3. The attempt at a solution

1. Ok I figured out 2a), but I don't know how to evaluate the constant for 2b)...what I did was just replace v, T, and P with v0, t0, and P0, but I don't think that is right.

I think it may be something with an exact differential equation, I am not sure though. I have ([tex]\beta\nu[/tex]/[tex]\partial[/tex]P)[tex]\partial[/tex]T = -([tex]\kappa\nu[/tex]/[tex]\partial[/tex]T)[tex]\partial[/tex]P
    Help for that one please

Btw how do you make the kappa symbol on the same level as everything else?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2010 #2
    Ok number 3 I figured out

4. Jan 18, 2010 #3
    Any help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook