What is the correct approach for solving thermodynamics questions?

In summary, the conversation discusses two homework questions involving calorimetry and gas equilibrium. It also mentions the use of SI units and the concept of latent heat. The main question in the second part is about finding the temperature of steam, which is known to be 100 degrees Celsius at normal pressure.
Paymemoney
Hi
The following questions i am having trouble solving and need some help:

Homework Statement

A 50.0g copper calorimeter contains 250g of water at 20.0 degrees C. How much steam must be condensed into water if the final temperature of the system is to reach 50.0 degrees C.

Homework Equations

Unsure about the rule to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]m_cu * m_cu + m_w * c_w = m_cu * c_cu ( T_f - T_i ) + m_w * c_w ( T_f - T_i )[/tex]

[tex]0.5 * 387 (30) + m_w (4186)(30)[/tex]

[tex]m_w = 4.9kg[/tex]

i know this is incorrect, what should be the right way to approach this question?

Homework Statement

A cylinder contains a mixture of helium and argon gas in equilibrium at 150 degrees C. What is the rms speed of each type of molecule?

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{3}NmV_(rms)[/tex]

My only problem i am having is finding the molecular mass. i found some hints online about this but i don't understand.

One of the answer they got was:
Helium = 4.003 * 10^-3kg/mol.

The part i don't understand is where they got 10^-3?

P.S

Physics news on Phys.org
Paymemoney said:
Hi
The following questions i am having trouble solving and need some help:

Homework Statement

A 50.0g copper calorimeter contains 250g of water at 20.0 degrees C. How much steam must be condensed into water if the final temperature of the system is to reach 50.0 degrees C.

Homework Equations

Unsure about the rule to use.

[tex]m_cu * m_cu + m_w * c_w = m_cu * c_cu ( T_f - T_i ) + m_w * c_w ( T_f - T_i )[/tex]

[tex]0.5 * 387 (30) + m_w (4186)(30)[/tex]

[tex]m_w = 4.9kg[/tex]

i know this is incorrect, what should be the right way to approach this question?P.S

Heat lost by steam = Heat gained by water.
msL + mwcw(Ts - Tf) = (mcuccu + mwcw)(Tf- Tw).
where L is the latent heat of the steam.

what is the Temperature of the steam??

10^-3 comes because you have to take everything in si units for example in your final equation if you take r in joule mass should be in kg.

Paymemoney said:
what is the Temperature of the steam??
100 degree C

so how did you know it was 100 degree C??

Paymemoney said:
so how did you know it was 100 degree C??
In the normal pressure, temperature of the steam is 100 C
When it condenses, the temperature of the water is 100 degree C.
Please go through the latent heat topic.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that as temperature approaches absolute zero, the entropy of a perfect crystal will approach zero.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred between objects due to a difference in temperature. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

4. How is thermodynamics applied in real-world situations?

Thermodynamics is used in many fields, from engineering and chemistry to environmental science and biology. It is used to design efficient engines, predict chemical reactions, and understand processes like climate change and cellular metabolism.

5. What is the significance of thermodynamics in our everyday lives?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in our everyday lives, from the functioning of our bodies to the operation of household appliances. It helps us understand and control energy and heat transfer, allowing us to make practical and efficient use of these principles in our daily activities.