What is the best material to use for holding heat in a box?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to make a box that can efficiently absorb and retain heat for a long period of time, at a low cost. They are unsure of the relationship between specific heat, thermal conductivity, and the ability to hold heat. They are considering using sand in the box, but are unsure if it has a high enough specific heat. They are advised to research specific heat tables and calculate the thermal capacity of their box by multiplying mass and specific heat. The individual is also encouraged to compare materials using the product of density and specific heat. They are also asked about their method of heating the box.
cliff terd
ok so I am trying to make a box that will absorb heat and hold it for a long time. (cheaply) But It has been a while since my last thermodynamics discussion and I keep confusing myself. specific heat I know is the value that of heat it takes to raise temperature. But does it also tell how well that material can hold heat? or is that thermal conductivity or something else all together.

or maybe I don't need to know the theory, maybe I can just ask. If I have a box I make out of steel, what is something cheep I can put n the box to help it hold heat. I am thinking sand but it has a low specific heat so I don't know if that is the right answer. Water will not work.

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I am not totally sure of your arrangement and objectives, but yes the specific heat applies. In fact, the product of mass X specific heat is more significant.

Do an internet search for specific heat table.

Again, the "thermal capacity" of your box is:

mass X specific heat = density X volume-box X specific heat.

You might tabulate materials you can use, and find the one with the highest value of density X specific heat.

Just curious, how are you heating the box?

1. What is the definition of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature in thermodynamics?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy between two systems, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a system.

4. How do you calculate the efficiency of a thermodynamic process?

The efficiency of a thermodynamic process is calculated by dividing the output energy by the input energy and multiplying by 100%. Efficiency = (Output energy / Input energy) x 100%.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is used in many everyday technologies, such as refrigerators, engines, and power plants. It is also used in areas like meteorology, chemical reactions, and materials science.