Thermodynamics: Coefficient of Performance Equation for Temperature Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for the coefficient of performance equation for temperatures and how to approach solving for it in the given problem. It is mentioned that the formula assumes an ideal Carnot engine and can be found in textbooks or derived oneself. The question asks for the COP of the system, which is a unit-less number, and it is necessary to convert to Kelvin when using the formula. It is also advised to find a formula for COP in terms of Qhot and Qcold in the textbook or coursework.
name_ask17
Just a quick question. Is there a formula for the coefficient of performance equation for just temperatures. All I have is the outdoor and indoor temperauture. How would I approach that?

Physics news on Phys.org
name_ask17 said:
Just a quick question. Is there a formula for the coefficient of performance equation for just temperatures. All I have is the outdoor and indoor temperauture. How would I approach that?
Yes, there is such a formula. It generally assumes that the heat pump (or refrigerator) is an ideal Carnot engine (maximum efficiency -- no losses due to friction, etc.)

You should be able to find this set of equations in your textbook or coursework. There is one COP equation for heating (such as what is used by a heat pump) and another, similar equation for cooling (such as what is used by a refrigerator or air conditioner).

Or you can derive it yourself. For an ideal system, Qhot/Thot = Qcold/Tcold.

what is Q? how would i find that.
because in my problem, i literally only have Tc and Th. how do i do that?

name_ask17 said:
what is Q? how would i find that.
because in my problem, i literally only have Tc and Th. how do i do that?
Do you already have formulas for COP as a function of Qhot and Qcold?

Make your substitutions. For example, Qcold = TcoldQhot/Thot, for an ideal Carnot engine. Make a similar substitution for Qhot. :wink:

ok. this is my problem.
In a heat pump, heat from the outdoors at -8.00 deg c is transferred to a room at 22 deg c, energy being supplied by an electrical motor. How mnay joules of heat will be delivered to the room for each joule of electrical energy consumed, ideally?

when it asks for joules of heat, what specifically is this asking me to solve for? and if i use the equation you wrote above, do i have to convert it to kelvin or can i leave it as celcius?

name_ask17 said:
when it asks for joules of heat, what specifically is this asking me to solve for?
The coefficient of performance or COP of a heat pump is the ratio of the change in heat at the "output" (the heat reservoir of interest) to the supplied work.

So, the question is asking for just that. The question is asking for the COP of the system, assuming it is ideal.

And the question is asking for a ratio. So your answer is not going to be in units of Joules. Rather it's going to be a unit-less number. COP is a unit-less number.
and if i use the equation you wrote above, do i have to convert it to kelvin or can i leave it as celcius?
You absolutely have to convert to Kevlin!

You'll also at least have to find a formula for the COP in your textbook. I've given you enough information where you can convert the formula to be a function of Thot and Tcold instead of Qhot and Qcold. But you'll at least need to find a formula for your textbook or coursework that gives you the COP in terms of Qhot and Qcold.

1. What is the definition of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, energy, and temperature.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that natural processes tend to move towards a state of greater disorder or entropy. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

3. How is thermodynamics used in real life?

Thermodynamics has countless applications in everyday life, including in the design of engines, refrigerators, and air conditioners. It is also used in the study of weather patterns and climate change, as well as in the production of electricity and chemical reactions.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature in thermodynamics?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In other words, heat is the transfer of energy, while temperature is a measure of how much energy is present.

5. What are some common misconceptions about thermodynamics?

One common misconception is that the laws of thermodynamics only apply to closed systems, when in fact they apply to all systems. Another is that entropy always increases, when in reality it can decrease in certain situations. Additionally, some people may think that thermodynamics only applies to heat, but it also applies to other forms of energy such as work and internal energy.