1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Thermodynamics: showing that U (energy) is a homogeneous function of S,V and N

1. Mar 22, 2010 #1
    We know that S (entropy) is additive and satisfies the relation:
    [tex]\lambda[/tex]S(U,V,N)=S([tex]\lambda[/tex]U,[tex]\lambda[/tex]V,[tex]\lambda[/tex]N)
    (S is a homogeneous function of U, V and N)
    I need to show that U is a homogeneous function of S, V and N
    that is, to show that
    [tex]\lambda[/tex]U(S,V,N)=U([tex]\lambda[/tex]S,[tex]\lambda[/tex]V,[tex]\lambda[/tex]N)

I tried to differentiate S by [tex]\lambda[/tex] and to represent U through derivatives of S but I only managed to get an implicit representation of U. I know that the solution should include differentiation by [tex]\lambda[/tex] and probably choosing a specific value for it (depending on some variable of the system). Moreover,the solution must include the fact that S is a monotonically increasing function of U (otherwise it is easy to show that the relation is not satisfied). Any ideas?

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted