1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics / Statistical Mechanics - Additivity of Entropy for Two Spin

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Thermodynamics / Statistical Mechanics - Additivity of Entropy for Two Spin

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(This is question 2.5.b in "Thermal Physics" by Kittel/Kromer.)

Consider two spin 1/2 systems. Each has a macroscopic number of particles (spins), [tex]N_1 \cong N_2 = 10^{22}[/tex]. System 1 has multiplicity function [tex]g_{1}(N_{1}, s_{1})[/tex], system 2 has [tex]g_{2}(N_{2},s-s_{1})[/tex], where the total [tex]s=s_{1}+s_{2}[/tex], and the product [tex]g_{1} g_{2}[/tex] is sharply peaked at the equilibrium [tex]s_{1} = \hat{s_{1}}[/tex].

Estimate the order of magnitude of the ratio of the total number of micro-states g(N,s) of the combined system to the peak value of their product, [tex]\sum g_{1}(N_{1},s_{1})g_{2}(N_{2},s_{2})/(g_{1}g_{2})_{max}[/tex], for [tex]s=10^{20}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

Gaussian Approximation:

[tex](g_{1}g_{2})_{max} \equiv g_{1}(\hat{s}_{1})g_{2}(s-\hat{s}_{1}) = g_{1}(0)g_{2}(0) e^{-2s^{2}/N} [/tex], where

[tex]g_{1}(0) = g_{1}(N_{1},0) [/tex]

and

[tex]g(N_{1},s) = \frac{(N_{1})!}{(\frac{1}{2} N_{1} + s_{1})! (\frac{1}{2} N_{1} - s_{1})!} \cong g_{1}(N_{1}, 0) e^{-2s^{2}/N}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried replacing the summation with an integral from negative infinity to infinity, but couldn't do the integral by hand - Maple tells me its either 0 or infinity, so I'm doing something wrong. I know the [tex]g_{1}(0)g_{2}(0)[/tex] terms cancel out, but I can't simplify any more. I'm looking for a numerical answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2
    i figured it out. please delete the thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?