What is the impact of heat loss on the exit temperature of steam in a turbine?

• Thread starter rhyso88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turbine
This would decrease the temperature and entropy of the exiting steam. It's possible that the specific entropy of the exiting steam would be lower than 6.8802 kJ/kgK in order to satisfy the condition of a maximum power generation.
rhyso88
A steam turbine in a power plant accepts 4500 kg/hr of steam at 60 bar and 500°C and exhausts steam at 10 bar. Heat transfer to the surroundings (Tsurr = 300K) at a rate of 70 kW.

(a) What condition needs to be satisfied for the turbine to generate the maximum possible power?

I said process must be isentropic and reversible (ie ignore the heat loss as this is insignificant)

(b)Calculate the specific entropy of the steam leaving the turbine when the latter is generating the maximum possible power.

I said the entropy must reman constant(ie isentropic), and then used my steam table for superheated vapour at 10 bar = 1 Mpa and entropy 6.8802kJ/kgK, I get a final temperature of 239.35 degrees celcius (ie 512.5K)

BUT! the next questions says show the exit steam temp = 199.9 degrees C.

COULD SOMEONE please give me some hints at how to do it if you can't choose isentropic?...or mayb point out where I may be missing something?

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the 70 kW rate of heat loss had to be taken into consideration.

1. What is a steam turbine?

A steam turbine is a mechanical device that converts the energy of steam into rotational motion. It uses high-pressure steam to turn a series of blades, which then rotate a shaft to generate electricity or power machinery.

2. How does a steam turbine work?

A steam turbine works by taking high-pressure steam from a boiler and directing it onto a series of blades attached to a rotor. The steam then causes the rotor to spin, which in turn rotates a generator or drives machinery.

3. What is the principle of thermodynamics in relation to steam turbines?

The principle of thermodynamics in relation to steam turbines is the conversion of heat energy into mechanical energy. The steam turbine follows the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the second law, which states that heat flows from hot to cold and can be converted into work.

4. What are the main components of a steam turbine?

The main components of a steam turbine include a rotor, blades, a casing, a steam chest, and a governor. The rotor and blades are responsible for converting steam energy into rotational energy, while the casing and steam chest contain and direct the steam. The governor controls the speed of the turbine.

5. What are the different types of steam turbines?

There are two main types of steam turbines: impulse and reaction turbines. Impulse turbines use the force of high-pressure steam to rotate a series of blades, while reaction turbines use both the force of steam and the reaction of steam as it passes through a series of moving and fixed blades.