1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics, system of 2 gases

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two particular systems separated by a diathermic wall have the following equations of state:
    [itex]\frac{1}{T^{(1)}}=\frac{3}{2}R \frac{N^{(1)}}{U^{(1)}}[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{1}{T^{(2)}}=\frac{5}{2}R \frac{N^{(1)}}{U^{(2)}}[/itex] where R=1.986 cal/mol K, [itex]N^{(1)}=2[/itex] and [itex]N^{(1)}=3[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    Euler relation in entropy representation: [itex]S=\sum _j F_j X_j[/itex]. In energy representation: [itex]U=TS+\sum _j P_j X_j[/itex].
    Gibbs-Duhem relation under the entropy and energy form respectively: [itex]\sum _j X_j dF_j=0[/itex], [itex]SdT+\sum _j X_j dP_j =0[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I simply don't know what formula to use and how exactly. Here they don't give the pressure so this seems really hard to use any formula. I don't know if I can use the ideal gas relations [itex]PV=nRT[/itex] and [itex]U=KT+U_0[/itex], they don't say anything about the gases.
    I realize that V is constant.
    Any help on getting me started will be appreciated!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?