Thermodynamics: system of localized harmonic oscillators

Your Name]In summary, we considered a system of localized weakly interacting harmonic oscillators in a lattice with non-degenerate energy levels. We derived a general expression for the pressure in this system, taking into account the hint provided. By simplifying the expression for q and using the formula for pressure, we obtained a final expression for pressure. However, in the limit \hbar\omega/kT<<1, the pressure simplifies to NkT/V, which is similar to the behavior of an ideal gas. Another approach to this problem is by treating the system as an ideal gas of particles with degenerate energy levels, which also leads to the same result. It is important to note that in this limit, the coth
Matscaf

Homework Statement

We consider a system of localized(in a lattice) weakly interacting harmonic oscillators having the non-degenerate energy levels:
[tex]\epsilon[/tex]v=(v+1/2)[tex]\hbar[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex]
v=0,1,2,...
where the angular frequency is a function of the volume, [tex]\omega[/tex](V)=aN/V, where a is a constant.

Calculate a general expression for the pressure in this system and also show how the general expression can be simplified in the limit [tex]\hbar[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex]/kT<<1.

Homework Equations

Hint: Q(N,V,T)=[q(V,N)]N for localized particles
q=[tex]\sum[/tex]e-[tex]\epsilon[/tex]/kT
P=kT([tex]\partial[/tex]lnQ/[tex]\partial[/tex]V)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first simplified the expression of q, in order to no longer have any sum in it. I used the fact that [tex]\sum[/tex]e-v[tex]\hbar\omega[/tex]/kT=1/(1-e-[tex]\hbar[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex]/kT)
So I finally get:
q=1/(2sinh([tex]\hbar\omega[/tex]/2kT))

Then I put this in the formula for the pressure and assuming that ln Q=ln (qN)=N*ln q, I made the derivation in function of the volume.

I obtained the following formula for the pressure:
P=N2*[tex]\hbar[/tex]/(V2)*coth(1/2*[tex]\hbar\omega[/tex]/kT)

I checked several times my calculations in the derivation but I'm still unsure about this results.
Indeed, the limit of coth when [tex]\hbar\omega[/tex]/kT<<1 is +[tex]\infty[/tex] and it's not really a simplification of the pressure's formula.

Does somebody can tell me if my results are correct? And if not, help me identify where I'm mistaken.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posing this interesting problem. Your derivation of the general expression for pressure in this system is correct. However, there are a few things to note when considering the limit \hbar\omega/kT<<1.

Firstly, in this limit, the coth function approaches 1, not infinity. This is because in the limit, the exponential term in the denominator becomes much larger than 1, making the denominator much larger than the numerator. Therefore, the pressure simplifies to:

P \approx NkT/V

This result makes sense intuitively, as in this regime, the energy levels are much closer together and the particles are highly localized, leading to a behavior similar to an ideal gas.

Secondly, another way to approach this problem is by using the fact that in the limit \hbar\omega/kT<<1, the energy levels become degenerate. This means that all the particles have the same energy, and we can treat the system as an ideal gas of particles with energy \epsilon=\hbar\omega. In this case, the partition function becomes:

Q(N,V,T) = \frac{1}{N!}\left(\frac{V}{\lambda^3}\right)^N

Where \lambda=h/\sqrt{2\pi mkT} is the thermal de Broglie wavelength. Using this expression for Q, we can easily calculate the pressure:

P = kT\left(\frac{\partial\ln Q}{\partial V}\right)_N = \frac{NkT}{V}

Which is the same result we obtained previously. This approach is useful as it allows us to directly see the connection to an ideal gas, and it also highlights the importance of the thermal de Broglie wavelength in determining the behavior of the system.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Keep up the great work as a scientist!

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work in a system. It studies how energy is transferred within a system and how it affects the properties and behavior of that system.

What is a system in thermodynamics?

A system in thermodynamics refers to a specific portion of the universe that is being studied. It can be anything from a small object to a large industrial process. The system is separated from its surroundings by a boundary, and any energy or matter that enters or leaves the system is considered as input or output, respectively.

What are localized harmonic oscillators in thermodynamics?

Localized harmonic oscillators are a type of system in thermodynamics that consists of a group of particles that are connected by bonds and interact with each other through a restoring force. These oscillators vibrate around a state of equilibrium, and their behavior can be described by the laws of classical mechanics.

What is the role of localized harmonic oscillators in thermodynamics?

Localized harmonic oscillators play a crucial role in the study of thermodynamics as they are often used to model the behavior of real systems. They allow us to analyze the transfer of energy within a system and understand how it affects the overall properties of the system.

What are some real-life applications of thermodynamics and localized harmonic oscillators?

Thermodynamics and localized harmonic oscillators have many practical applications in various fields. They are used in the design of engines, refrigerators, and other heat-based devices. They also play a crucial role in understanding chemical reactions, material properties, and energy transfer processes in everyday life.