1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics system

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Design an explicit system which does the following: It goes adiabatically and reversibly from state A to B. Then it returns from state B to state A probably irreversibly and receiving some heat from the outside world on the way. It cant give out heat.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]PV^{\gamma}=c[/itex] for an adiabatic process
    [itex]PV=c[/itex] for an isothermal process

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to draw various 3 step PV diagrams using isobaric and isochoric steps but they all gave out heat. The only way I can think of doing this is if the adiabatic process is the same as an isothermal process i.e
    [itex]PV^{\gamma}=PV[/itex]
    [itex]\gamma=1[/itex]
    [itex]C_p=C_v[/itex]

But this can't be true for an ideal gas so I have no idea.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Doesn't that depend on the direction of the process?

4. Oct 20, 2014 #3
    Yes but amn't I forced into a direction that gives out heat after an adiabatic process then a process which takes in heat if I want to get back to the start?

5. Oct 21, 2014 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I haven't worked out the details, but if your adiabatic process is an expansion, can't you go back to state A without any heat leaving the system?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted