Thermodynamics Tables: Pressure Conversion Explained

In summary, Thermodynamic tables can express pressure in different units but traditionally when dealing with steam, pressure is epressed in bar which is 10^5 pascals (or 10^5 N/m^2). So if you have a pressure of 60 bar in a given thermodynamics table, this is equivalent to 6000kPa. As for Vf (specific volume), this is simply the inverse of density so its units will be consistent with the density for the liquid phase or vapour phase. As a guess, I would say you are confusing your Vf with Vg. They usually differ by a few order of magnitudes.
bigu01
Hello,

I've got a question about thermodynamics tables, in some tables pressure is given in bars and vf= a number times 10^3 , but in some tables the pressure is given in kPa and vf= a number times 10^-3 , how can this be explained, I do not get it.

Kind regards,

Astrit Imeri

ME student

Engineering news on Phys.org
It seems that you are just getting confused with your units. Pressure can be expressed in many different units but traditionally when dealing with steam, pressure is epressed in bar which is 10^5 pascals (or 10^5 N/m^2). So if you have a pressure of 60 bar in a given thermodynamics table, this is equivalent to 6000kPa. As for Vf (specific volume), this is simply the inverse of density so its units will be consistent with the density for the liquid phase or vapour phase. As a guess, I would say you are confusing your Vf with Vg. They usually differ by a few order of magnitudes.

to put it simply, since vf is the specific volume of the saturated liquid. On earth, no liquid has a vf in the order of 10^3 (m^3/kg). Check the units of vf and if they are in m3/kg. its just an error. I mean, give me a liquid on Earth which has a kilogram of mass and occupies 1000m^3 of volume.

assaad said:
to put it simply, since vf is the specific volume of the saturated liquid. On earth, no liquid has a vf in the order of 10^3 (m^3/kg). Check the units of vf and if they are in m3/kg. its just an error. I mean, give me a liquid on Earth which has a kilogram of mass and occupies 1000m^3 of volume.

Well, where the pressure is in bars the vf is given on 10^3 m^3/kg , but when the pressure is given in kPa, the volume is given in 10^-3.However,in my university we are using the kPa, and when I am reading the tables I am taking vf= as 10^-3.I agree with the logic, I just was confused how could that be.

Tables? Or Calculators...

I have had nothing but grief with Thermodynamic table...

Maybe someone can suggest a table that exists already. Or create one where many parameters can be changed by a user of the table...

I want to watch the progression of 10ml of water in a sealed container move from room temperature, to, say 300 C degrees, and want to see cumulative BTU's have had to be used as temperature/pressure increased, and see the cumulative expansion of the liquid. I think asking that in a table or calculator may already be too much. But I also would like to see how fast (in seconds?) a given amount of added water will go from room temperature into the container, already at say 300 C degrees, to reach the 300 C degrees.

Another quick question. Assuming 1ml of water upon becoming steam at 100 C, expands about 1600 times, what's the expansion progression as the temperature increases? I have the intuitive sense that at higher temperature the expansion is greater... and it is NOT linear.

It would help you case, Boldhawk, by posting your question in its own thread, and not hijacking another thread.

What is a thermodynamics table?

A thermodynamics table is a chart that displays the properties of a substance, such as pressure, temperature, and volume, at different states or conditions. These tables are used in thermodynamics to analyze and calculate the behavior of substances under different conditions.

What is pressure conversion?

Pressure conversion is the process of changing a measurement of pressure from one unit to another. This is often necessary when working with thermodynamics tables, as different units of pressure may be used in different tables. Common units of pressure include atmospheres, pounds per square inch (psi), and pascals (Pa).

Why is pressure conversion important in thermodynamics?

Pressure is a fundamental property in thermodynamics and plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of substances. Different units of pressure may be used in different thermodynamics tables, and it is important to be able to convert between these units to accurately analyze and calculate the properties of substances.

How do I convert pressure from one unit to another?

To convert pressure from one unit to another, you can use conversion factors, which are values that represent the relationship between different units. For example, to convert from atmospheres to pascals, you would multiply the value in atmospheres by 101325 (the conversion factor).

What are some common units of pressure used in thermodynamics tables?

Some common units of pressure used in thermodynamics tables include atmospheres, pounds per square inch (psi), pascals (Pa), and kilopascals (kPa). Other units, such as millimeters of mercury (mmHg) and torr, may also be used in certain tables.