Thermodynamics water pump help

In summary, the question asks for the minimum power input to a pump that is pumping water at a steady rate from an inlet at 20°C and 100 kPa to an outlet at 800 kPa. The flow velocities at the inlet and outlet are the same, and the pump exit is 6.1 m above the inlet. The equation used to solve this problem is simplified by eliminating heat transfer and kinetic energy effects and converting the pressure units to MPa and flow rate to m^3/s. The water is classified as a compressed liquid, but the correct method for solving the problem using tables has not been determined yet.
Bradracer18

Homework Statement

HI guys, this is an exam review question from the Fundamentals Engr exam. Not sure how to do it, please help me along so I can learn it too!

Water enters a pump steadily at T1=20°C, p1=100 kPa at a rate of 35 L/s and leaves at p2=800 kPa. The flow velocities at the inlet and the exit are the same, but the pump exit where the discharge pressure is measured at 6.1 m above the inlet section. Neglect Kinetic energy effect. The minimum power input to the pump is:

(a) 34 kW (b) 22 kW (c) 27 kW (d) 52 kW (e) 44 kW

Homework Equations

0 = -W + m[tex]\dot{}[/tex]((h1-h2) + g(z1-z2))

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I simplified the equation by eliminating Q(heat transfer) and KE. I converted kPA to Mpa by multiplying by .100.

So, p1= .1 MPa, p2= .8MPa. The mass flow rate(m)= converted 35L/s to 0.035m^3/s by multiplying by .001. g is gravity which is 9.81m/s^2. z1= 0m and z2= 6.1m

Basically, not sure how to start this problem out. Not sure how I find my h1 and h2. Maybe I'm not even using the correct equation, but I think I am.

Thank you,
Brad

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I found something else out...but have yet to figure out how to use the tables correctly. I think the water is classified as a compressed liquid, but that's as far as I've gotten.

it is important to approach problems like this systematically and use the appropriate equations and principles. In this case, the problem involves a pump, which is a device that transfers energy to a fluid (in this case, water) in order to increase its pressure. The key equation to use here is the Bernoulli's equation, which relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid at different points in a system.

To start, we can use the given information to determine the pressures at points 1 and 2. Point 1 is where the water enters the pump and point 2 is where it exits. We know that the pressure at point 1 is 100 kPa and the pressure at point 2 is 800 kPa. Since the flow velocities at these points are the same, we can assume that the kinetic energy effects can be neglected. This simplifies the Bernoulli's equation to:

P1 + (rho*g*z1) = P2 + (rho*g*z2)

Where P is pressure, rho is the density of water, g is gravity, and z is elevation. We can rearrange this equation to solve for the elevation difference between points 1 and 2:

z2 - z1 = (P1 - P2)/(rho*g)

Plugging in the given values, we get:

z2 - z1 = (100 kPa - 800 kPa)/(1000 kg/m^3 * 9.81 m/s^2) = -0.071 m

This tells us that point 2 is 0.071 m lower in elevation than point 1. Next, we can use the fact that the flow rate is steady to determine the work done by the pump, which is equal to the power input. The equation for work is:

W = m*delta(h)

Where m is the mass flow rate and delta(h) is the change in enthalpy between points 1 and 2. We can determine the enthalpy at each point using the specific enthalpy of water at the given temperature of 20°C:

h1 = 83.93 kJ/kg
h2 = 84.03 kJ/kg

Plugging these values into the work equation, we get:

W = (0.035 m^3/s)(1000 kg/m^3)(84.03 kJ/kg - 83.93 kJ/kg) =

1. How does a water pump work?

A water pump works by using mechanical energy to move water from one place to another. This is typically achieved through the use of a motor that drives an impeller, which creates a pressure difference that forces water to flow through the pump and into the desired location.

2. What is the role of thermodynamics in water pumps?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in the functioning of water pumps. It involves the study of the relationship between heat, energy, and work, which is essential in understanding how the pump generates the necessary pressure to move water.

3. How does a water pump maintain energy efficiency?

A water pump maintains energy efficiency by minimizing energy losses during the pumping process. This is achieved through the design of the pump, which aims to reduce friction and turbulence in order to maximize the transfer of energy from the motor to the water.

4. What factors affect the performance of a water pump?

Several factors can affect the performance of a water pump, including the design and quality of the pump, the type of motor used, the properties of the fluid being pumped, and the operating conditions such as pressure and flow rate.

5. How can I troubleshoot problems with my water pump?

If your water pump is not functioning properly, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue. First, check for any clogs or blockages in the pump or piping. You should also inspect the motor and electrical connections for any damage. If these do not seem to be the issue, it may be necessary to consult a professional for further assistance.