Thermodynamics: Calculating Entropy Change for Mixing Streams

In summary: Remember that entropy change is additive, so you can add the individual entropy changes of the streams together.In summary, the problem involves two streams of water with different temperatures and flow rates. The goal is to determine the final temperature of the mixture and the total rate of change of entropy. To find the final temperature, the conservation of energy principle is used, setting the heat gained by the colder stream equal to the heat lost by the hotter stream. The resulting equation can be solved for the final temperature. To calculate the total rate of change of entropy, the individual entropy changes of each stream are added together using the equation ΔS = C ln(Tf/Ti).
roam

Homework Statement

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6641/problem2t.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to approach this problem. I know of this equations for when they reach thermal equilibrium:

[itex]T_f = \frac{C_1 T_{1,i} + C_2T_{2,i}}{C_1+C_2}[/itex]

And this for entropy change:

[itex]\Delta S = C \ln \left( \frac{T_f}{T_i} \right)[/itex]

But how do we relate the speed of the two stream flows to all this? I appreciate if anyone could please help me to get started on this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have the density of water as 1000 kg/m3 you can convert the volumetric flow rate given to a mass flow rate. Which then becomes a simple use of equating the rate of heat loss by one to the rate of heat gain by one.

rock.freak667 said:
Since you have the density of water as 1000 kg/m3 you can convert the volumetric flow rate given to a mass flow rate. Which then becomes a simple use of equating the rate of heat loss by one to the rate of heat gain by one.

Thank you. So the mass flow rates would be

[itex]\dot{m} = 1000 \times v \times A[/itex] (I do not have the cross-sectional area)

There is another equation [itex]Q = \frac{\dot{m}}{\rho}[/itex], but how do I relate this to the tempratures? Because I need to find the final temprature of the mixture. :confused:

roam said:
Thank you. So the mass flow rates would be

[itex]\dot{m} = 1000 \times v \times A[/itex] (I do not have the cross-sectional area)

There is another equation [itex]Q = \frac{\dot{m}}{\rho}[/itex], but how do I relate this to the tempratures? Because I need to find the final temprature of the mixture. :confused:

You have your volumetric flow rate in m3/s, you want mass flow rate in kg/s.

So you know that ρ= m/V so m = ρV, so that will give yu the mass flow rate m.

What would be the heat required to raise the temperature of water from T1 to T2 i.e. what is the formula? (Hint: What equation relates, mass, specific heat capacity and a temperature difference?)

rock.freak667 said:
You have your volumetric flow rate in m3/s, you want mass flow rate in kg/s.

So you know that ρ= m/V so m = ρV, so that will give yu the mass flow rate m.

What would be the heat required to raise the temperature of water from T1 to T2 i.e. what is the formula? (Hint: What equation relates, mass, specific heat capacity and a temperature difference?)

Thanks, so the mass flow rates are

[itex]\left\{\begin{matrix}m_1 = 1000 \times 5 = 5000 \ kg /s\\ m_2 = 1000 \times 2 = 2000 \ kg/s \end{matrix}\right.[/itex]

An equation for heat that relates mass, specific heat capacity and temprature difference is

[itex]Q=mc\Delta T [/itex]

So, do I need to find the heat required to raise the water at 0°C to the 20°C temprature of the second stream?

[itex]Q= m \times (4.18 \times 10^3) \times (293.15 \ K - 273.15 \ K)[/itex]

Which vlaue of m do I need use? And how does finding Q help us to determine the final temprature of the mixture?

roam said:
Thanks, so the mass flow rates are

[itex]\left\{\begin{matrix}m_1 = 1000 \times 5 = 5000 \ kg /s\\ m_2 = 1000 \times 2 = 2000 \ kg/s \end{matrix}\right.[/itex]

This is correct.

roam said:
An equation for heat that relates mass, specific heat capacity and temprature difference is

[itex]Q=mc\Delta T [/itex]

Also correct.

roam said:
So, do I need to find the heat required to raise the water at 0°C to the 20°C temprature of the second stream?

[itex]Q= m \times (4.18 \times 10^3) \times (293.15 \ K - 273.15 \ K)[/itex]

Which vlaue of m do I need use? And how does finding Q help us to determine the final temprature of the mixture?

Here's where your thinking is wrong. The final temperature will not be 20°C. What you should do is consider conservation of energy with no heat loss.

The stream at 0°C will gain the heat lost by the stream at 20°C.

Give your formula of Q=mcΔT can you make two expressions, one for the heat gained by the 0°C stream to the final temperature Tf AND one for the heat lost by the 20°C stream to the final temperature Tf?

When you do that, just put them equal to one another!

rock.freak667 said:
Here's where your thinking is wrong. The final temperature will not be 20°C. What you should do is consider conservation of energy with no heat loss.

The stream at 0°C will gain the heat lost by the stream at 20°C.

Give your formula of Q=mcΔT can you make two expressions, one for the heat gained by the 0°C stream to the final temperature Tf AND one for the heat lost by the 20°C stream to the final temperature Tf?

When you do that, just put them equal to one another!

Thank you very much, that's a great idea! It worked out as follows

[itex]5000 \times (4.18 \times 10^3) \times (T_f - 293.15) = 2000 \times (4.18 \times 10^3) \times (T_f - 273.15)[/itex]

[itex]5000T_f-(5000 \times293.15) = 2000T_f - (2000 \times 273.15)[/itex]

[itex]3000 T_f = 919450 \ \therefore T_f = 306.483 \ K[/itex]

But now for the second part of the problem I need to calculate "the total rate of change of entropy". So I know of the following equation which gives the total change of entropy for the object+environment:

[itex]\Delta S_{o+e} = C_o \ln \left( \frac{T_f}{T_o} \right) +C_e \ln \left( \frac{T_f}{T_e} \right)[/itex]

Is this the correct equation in this case for the total rate of change of entropy?

Last edited:
I think you need to add the entropy change of stream 1 to the entropy change of stream 2.

rock.freak667 said:
I think you need to add the entropy change of stream 1 to the entropy change of stream 2.

Using the equation [itex]\Delta S = C \ln \left( \frac{T_f}{T_i} \right)[/itex]?

roam said:
Using the equation [itex]\Delta S = C \ln \left( \frac{T_f}{T_i} \right)[/itex]?

Yes, try it.

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the study of the relationships between heat, energy, and work.

What is the concept of water mixing in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, water mixing refers to the process of combining two or more bodies of water with different temperatures to reach a new, uniform temperature.

What factors affect the mixing of water in thermodynamics?

The rate of water mixing is affected by factors such as the temperature difference between the two bodies of water, the volume of water being mixed, and the presence of any external forces or barriers.

Why is water mixing important in thermodynamics?

Water mixing is important in thermodynamics because it allows for the transfer of heat between two bodies of water. This process is essential for maintaining a stable temperature in natural bodies of water and can also be used in industrial processes.

How does thermodynamics explain the mixing of hot and cold water?

According to the laws of thermodynamics, heat will naturally flow from a hotter body to a colder body until both objects reach the same temperature. When hot and cold water are mixed, the hot water will transfer heat to the cold water until they reach a uniform temperature.