Calculate Heat Energy Transferred for Isobaric Expansion

In summary, isobaric expansion is a thermodynamic process in which a gas expands at a constant pressure. The formula for calculating heat energy transferred during isobaric expansion is Q = nCpΔT, and the units of heat energy transferred are Joules (J) or calories (cal). Isobaric expansion differs from isochoric expansion in that the pressure remains constant instead of the volume. Some real-life examples of isobaric expansion include the expansion of a balloon, steam in a steam engine, and air in a piston-cylinder system.
galaxyrocker

Homework Statement

A cylinder with a frictionless piston contains 0.05 m3 of gas at 60 kPa. The spring holding the piston is now in tension. The cylinder is heated until the volume rises to 0.2 m3 and the pressure rises to 180 kPa.

Assuming no losses in the system, and the force on the spring ot vary linearly with length, compute:

a) The amount of work done by the gas
b) The amount of work done if the system consists of the gas, the piston, and the spring

Homework Equations

W= [itex]\int pdv[/itex]
dw = du + dq

The Attempt at a Solution

I used dw= du + dq, because I had trouble figuring out which pressure to use when integrating, because I got different answers depending on whether I calculated work with Po or Pf.

dw = [itex](3/2)[/itex][itex]RdT[/itex] (from [itex]dU/dT = Cv = 3/2R[/itex]) + dT
I then integrated this, from To to Tf. Using the ideal gas law, I solved for T in terms of the given P and V values, and assumed n=1. I got an answer of 45524 J, but this seems rather odd to be.

b) I am confused where to start here, because you're putting energy into the system by adding heat, but then you're releasing it because the system is doing work on the surroundings...So would this just be 0, because of no losses?

Homework Statement

Calculate the heat energy transferred for an isobaric expansion.

Homework Equations

[itex] Q = CvΔT + nRΔT [/itex] (substituting in for ΔU and W)

The Attempt at a Solution

= [itex] ΔT(Cv+nR)[/itex]
[itex] = ΔT[(3/2)(Rn)+(Rn)][/itex]
[itex] = ΔT(5/2)(Rn)[/itex]
[itex] = (5/2)(Rn) (Tf-To)[/itex]
[itex] = (5/2)(Rn) (zTo-T0)[/itex]
[itex] = (5/2)(Rn)(To)(z-1) [/itex]

However, it says the answer is [itex] (3/2)(Rn)(To)(z-1) [/itex]

Where am I messing up at?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would be happy to assist you with your questions.

For the first question, it seems like you have the right idea by using the equation dw = du + dq. However, when integrating, you should use both initial and final pressure and volume values, as the work done by the gas depends on the change in these values. So, the integral would be:

W = ∫P1V1 to P2V2 pdv = ∫P1 to P2 PdV

where P1, V1 are the initial pressure and volume, and P2, V2 are the final pressure and volume. This should give you the correct answer for part a).

For part b), you are correct in assuming that there would be no work done by the surroundings, as there are no losses in the system. Therefore, the work done by the system would be equal to the heat added to the system. So, the amount of work done would be equal to the change in internal energy of the system, which can be calculated using the first law of thermodynamics:

ΔU = Q - W

where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat added to the system, and W is the work done by the system. Since we know that W = 0, we can rearrange the equation to find Q:

Q = ΔU = ∫Cv dT = Cv(Tf - Ti)

where Cv is the specific heat at constant volume and Ti, Tf are the initial and final temperatures. This should give you the answer for part b).

For the second question, you are on the right track. However, the mistake you have made is in assuming that the specific heat at constant volume (Cv) is equal to (3/2)R. This is only true for monatomic ideal gases. For diatomic ideal gases, Cv = (5/2)R. So, the correct solution would be:

Q = ΔU = ∫Cv dT = Cv(Tf - Ti) = (5/2)R(Tf - Ti)

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is isobaric expansion?

Isobaric expansion is a thermodynamic process in which a gas expands at a constant pressure. This means that the external pressure on the gas remains constant while the volume of the gas increases.

2. How do you calculate heat energy transferred during isobaric expansion?

The formula for calculating heat energy transferred during isobaric expansion is Q = nCpΔT, where Q is the heat energy, n is the number of moles of gas, Cp is the specific heat capacity at constant pressure, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What are the units of heat energy transferred?

The units of heat energy transferred are Joules (J) or calories (cal).

4. How does isobaric expansion differ from isochoric expansion?

In isochoric expansion, the volume of the gas remains constant, while in isobaric expansion, the pressure remains constant. This means that in isobaric expansion, work is done by the gas as it expands, while in isochoric expansion, no work is done.

5. What are some real-life examples of isobaric expansion?

Some real-life examples of isobaric expansion include the expansion of a balloon as it is filled with air, the expansion of steam in a steam engine, and the expansion of air in a piston-cylinder system.