1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics (work)

1. Oct 24, 2013 #1
    i'm trying to relate the helmholtz and the gibbs free energy together. I thought that since the gibbs was just the W(other) and the helmholtz was the total work, that the following would be true.

F=G-PdV

because.. i thought that PdV was the work due to pressure, but it turns out that it's actually PdV+VdP which is just d(PV)

but i thought PdV was the only term that was the work due to pressure, how is VdP work due to pressure? V is constant!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2013 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

V is not constant if dV is non-zero, right? Indeed, if V were constant the pressure wouldn't be doing any work (just as a weight sitting stationary on a rigid table does no work on the table).

4. Oct 24, 2013 #3
    i know dV isn't zero, this is what gives rise to a displacement in the system which ultimately gives rise to work.
    i was referring to V, not dV. for the VdP term, i thought we were keeping V constant and varying P.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook