How Do You Calculate Critical Temperature Using the Van der Waals Equation?

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the critical temperature for a gas using the Van der Waal equation of state. The given values for a and b were converted to SI units and the ideal gas equation was used to find the number of moles. However, the correct value for critical temperature could not be obtained and it was suggested to use the Van der Waal equation to find the number of moles instead.
mkbh_10

Homework Statement

calculate critical temp. for a gas obeying vander waal eqn of state . Give a = .00874 atm (cm)^6 & b = .0023 (cm)^3 for 1 (cm)^3 of gas at STP .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

unit of a is N (m)^4 (mol)^-2 , how do i get this mol term ?

(cm)^6 = (10)^-12 (m)^6 , pressure at STP is 1 atm = 1.013*(10)^5 N/m(sqr) ,

combining these two this equals

1.013 (10)^-7 N (m)^4 , to get the per mol term , i use the eqn of state PV=nRT where

p = 1 atm , V= 22.4 ltrs = 22.4 *(10)^-3 (m)^3 , R= 8.31 J/k/mol T = 273 K

I am stuck after this , is the conversion of volume correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation of state for a Van der Waal's gas?

[p+ a/(V)^2](V-b) = nRT

Critical temp. = 8a/27Rb

I use PV=nrt to get a & b for 1 mole of a gas but i am stuck at volume conversion

Then all you need to do is sub the values in for a and b, the volume doesn't come into it.

But R has unit in N/m(sqr) 1/k 1/mol , this mol unit will come into play if i put the values of a & b directly , have to remove it so i will have to change

mkbh_10 said:
But R has unit in N/m(sqr) 1/k 1/mol , this mol unit will come into play if i put the values of a & b directly , have to remove it so i will have to change
Ahh true (sorry, missed that :redface:). However, you need to use Van der Waal's equation to find the number of moles that you are dealing with, not the ideal gas equation. After you have found the number of moles you are dealing with simply multiply your expression for the critical temperature by that number.

I am still not able to get the correct value

1. What is Thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat, energy, and their relationship with work and other forms of energy.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy in a system. They are: 1) The law of conservation of energy, 2) The law of entropy, and 3) The law of absolute temperature.

3. How is thermodynamics applied in real life?

Thermodynamics is applied in various fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology. It is used to design and improve energy systems, understand chemical reactions, and analyze biological processes.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature in thermodynamics?

Heat is the transfer of energy between two objects with different temperatures, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of molecules in a substance. In thermodynamics, heat is a form of energy, and temperature is a property of matter.

5. How does thermodynamics relate to the concept of entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, the law of entropy states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. This is related to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system cannot decrease over time.