1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermographic Camera

1. Mar 28, 2007 #1
    Hi,

As an electrician I'm tired of lifting floorboards to find problems in domestic propertys and having every fault finding call ending up like an episode of fawlty towers because of inter-connections, ludicrously planned cable runs and all kinds of other appalling wiring practices exhibited by the previous electricians who wired up the houses I have to do calls on. I'm so fed up I'm learning plastering on the side to give me a bit of a break from it all and a new avenue through which to earn a living. I don't obviously want to stop doing electrics though...

So I want X-Ray vision. Not literally obviously but I really love seeing new technology shatter age old problems. So I'm in the market for a thermographic camera. It doesn't have to be ultra sophisticated, all I need is for it to show me were cable runs are, which by thermographic camera standards should be an absolute piece of cake. I've seen one new for £3,500 which I'd happily part with the money for but before I start saving or take out a loan does anyone know if I can achieve my aim with a cheaper camera?

Just curious, I don't want to spend several grand on something when a piece of kit that costs a fraction of the price can do the same thing.

Thanks in advance :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2007 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Mar 29, 2007 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The kit I've seen used for fault-finding electrical installations was a lot more than 3.5k. Don't remember the exact figure but I believe you're looking at the best part of 10k. Obviously if you're just looking to trace wiring, and not to fault-find it, you might get away with a lesser unit.

Have a chat with the guys at Horton Levi (or similar) to see what they use.

5. Mar 29, 2007 #4
    Ah thanks for the information men, I'll follow up those leads :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?