Exploring "Thermokinetics": What Is It?

In summary, "thermokinetics" is a term used to describe the study of the rate of chemical decomposition, combining thermodynamics and kinetics. It is not a well-defined or widely recognized term, and there is no consistent definition of it. However, some resources, such as the book Chemical Reaction Engineering by Octave Levenspiel and The Elements of Chemical Kinetics and Reactor Calculations by Scott Fogler, provide information on related concepts. The precise meaning of this term is unclear and its use may vary depending on the field. It is important to have a consistent understanding of terminology in scientific translations, but it may be difficult to find experts in every field.
nomadreid
Gold Member
Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermokinetics says that "thermokinetics" studies the rate of chemical decomposition, whereas a dictionary https://www.yourdictionary.com/thermokinetic gets no further than saying that it combines thermodynamics and kinetics, and a book on it https://books.google.co.il/books?id...CXoECAEQAQ#v=onepage&q=thermokinetics&f=false introduces it in such vague terms as to appear meaningless... etc. I could get no consistent definition of it, and I suspect that it is not a standard term. But maybe I am looking in the wrong places. Is it a standard term, and if so, what is its precise meaning? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is it so important for you to have a precise definition of this term? I actually have never heard it before, and I couldn't care less. Your objective should be to master the technology, and not be so concerned with terminology. If you want a really good book on chemical reactor kinetics and heat transfer, see Octave Levenspiel's book Chemical Reaction Engineering, or Scott Fogler's book The Elements of Chemical Kinetics and Reactor Calculations.

Likes vanhees71
Chestermiller, thanks for the indirect answer -- that you had never heard of the term. The reason I wished to know the exact term was simply that I was translating an article for a Russian physicist; he had used this term in his own (flawed) attempt to translate it himself into English, but I suspected this was due to the Russian penchant for coining terms. In an ideal world, translators would be well versed in the fields that they translate, but in reality usually only translators with a scientific background but not necessarily in the same field as the article is all that is usually available. That is, since this is not my field, I wished to have confirmation from those in the corresponding field before I advised said physicist not to use the term.

Alas, I cannot learn all fields about which I translate in depth. It would be nice, but...

Likes vanhees71 and Delta2

What is "Exploring Thermokinetics"?

"Exploring Thermokinetics" is a scientific field that studies the relationship between heat and chemical reactions. It involves the study of how heat affects the rate and direction of chemical reactions, as well as the energy changes that occur during these reactions.

How does "Exploring Thermokinetics" differ from thermodynamics?

While both fields involve the study of heat and energy, thermodynamics is primarily concerned with the overall energy changes in a system, while thermokinetics focuses on the specific effects of heat on chemical reactions.

What are some real-world applications of "Exploring Thermokinetics"?

"Exploring Thermokinetics" has many practical applications, such as in the development of new materials, understanding the behavior of enzymes, and optimizing industrial chemical processes.

What are the key principles of "Exploring Thermokinetics"?

The key principles of "Exploring Thermokinetics" include the study of reaction rates, energy changes, and the factors that influence these, such as temperature, concentration, and catalysts.

How can "Exploring Thermokinetics" contribute to other scientific fields?

By understanding how heat affects chemical reactions, "Exploring Thermokinetics" can provide valuable insights into other fields such as biochemistry, materials science, and environmental science. It can also aid in the development of more efficient and sustainable processes in various industries.