Thermometer Help: Avoiding Wrong Measurement

In summary, the conversation is about making a homemade thermometer for a science project. The person has all the necessary materials but is concerned about the shape of the bottle affecting the temperature measurement. Suggestions are given to use a liquid that doesn't freeze and calibrate with a commercially made thermometer. The person also shares their materials and mentions using sand and water to create a sink, but it is clarified that the shape of the bottle does not affect the measurement, only the markings for temperature graduations.
mobb
ok well my science teacher told us to make a thermometer, i have everything needed for it but i just got one question, all the bottles that we drink on have you know the little mountains those little balls at the bottom, and if it has that then the measurement will be wrong, what can i put inside it to avoid the measurement to be wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Huh? What do you mean the drink bottles have mountains and balls? What sort of bottles do you have? :confused: And why would the shape of a bottle affect the measurement of temperature? I assume you're planning to measure the temperature of some liquid placed inside the bottle?

It would be helpful if you described how you're making your thermometer and what you plan to measure with it (liquid temperature, air temperature, etc), so we can better understand your question.

Why would the uneven shape at the bottom make your measurements wrong?

The simplest way to do this is just to put some kind of liquid in the bottle (preferably a liquid that doesn't freeze in winter temperatures such as methyl alcohol). Use a commercially made thermometer to calibrate your homemade thermometer.

If you need to create your temperature scale ahead of time, based on the expected expansion of whatever's in the bottle, the irregular surface on the bottom still isn't a problem. You can fill the bottle and empty it into a beaker or measuring cup to find the volume. Measure the liquid you intend to put in the bottle in a beaker or measuring cup before you put it into the bottle. (Or just fill the bottle completely, since you've already measured the volume).

What materials are you using? There's a cheap version of this experiment, which it sounds like you're using. There's also a more sophisticated version using a test tube, stopper, and glass tubing.

this is what I am using

Tap water
Rubbing alcohol
Clear, narrow-necked plastic bottle (11 ounce water bottles work well)
Food coloring
Clear plastic drinking straw
Modeling clay

and this is what i mean by the little mountains

http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/7195/15552ru.jpg

i was thinking of putting sand into it and putting water so it sinks then do the procedure?

Last edited by a moderator:
bump, i really need help on this

The liquid will expand and contract with temperature. The shape of the bottle doesn't matter. What does matter is how you make the graduations to show the various temperatures. Reread Bob's post.

1. How can I ensure my thermometer is accurate?

To ensure your thermometer is accurate, you should calibrate it regularly. This can be done by immersing the thermometer in a mixture of ice and water and adjusting it to read 0°C. You can also use boiling water and adjust it to read 100°C. Additionally, make sure to store your thermometer in a safe place and handle it carefully to prevent any damage.

2. What are common mistakes that lead to wrong temperature readings?

One common mistake is not allowing enough time for the thermometer to equilibrate to the surrounding temperature. Another mistake is not placing the thermometer in the correct location, such as too close or too far away from the object being measured. Additionally, not reading the thermometer at eye level or not properly cleaning the thermometer can also lead to wrong measurements.

3. How do I know if my thermometer is reading in the correct units?

Make sure to check the thermometer's label or manual to confirm the units it is reading in. If it is a digital thermometer, you can usually switch between units of measurement. For analog thermometers, you can use a conversion chart to ensure you are reading the correct units.

4. Can extreme temperatures affect the accuracy of my thermometer?

Yes, extreme temperatures can affect the accuracy of your thermometer. Extreme heat can cause the thermometer to expand, leading to higher readings, while extreme cold can cause it to contract and give lower readings. It is important to store your thermometer in a moderate temperature and avoid exposing it to extreme conditions.

5. How often should I replace my thermometer?

Thermometers should be replaced every 1-2 years, depending on the type and frequency of use. It is important to regularly check for any signs of damage or wear and tear, and if you notice any, it may be time to replace your thermometer. Additionally, if you notice any significant changes in accuracy, it may also be time for a replacement.