Is a thermoscope a reliable instrument for measuring temperature?

• Thread starter Portuga
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between thermoscopes and thermometers, highlighting the fact that thermoscopes are not calibrated and are only able to measure changes in temperature. The authors give an example of a thermometer that is able to measure temperatures in thermal equilibrium and emphasize the importance of calibration for accurate measurements. The conversation also touches on the concept of uncertainty in measurements.
Portuga
Hello, gentleman! I was reading the chapter 18 of Halliday's textbook (9 ed.), and was terrified by an section about the zeroth law of thermodynamics. The auctors said in it that thermoscopes are not thermometers, because their measurements don't have physical meanings.
Later, they presented one example, in which a device like a thermoscope had a special feature: registered same measurements for objects which were in thermal equilibrium. Ok! Then they said something like "now this is a thermometer, and we just need to calibrate it".All right. My hypothesis are:
  1. A thermoscope is only able to detect the variations of temperature. We can't trust in its measurements, I mean, we are not sure that bodies with same readings are at same temperatures.
  2. A measurement only has physical meaning if we can trust in it.
  3. A thermometer gives the same readings for objects which are in thermal equilibrium.
  4. We need to calibrate the thermometers so we can be sure that two equal readings correspond to the same temperatures.

Am I wright? Did I miss something important?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep. You are right. The key idea is that thermoscopes are not calibrated, which means you never know what a particular reading signifies. It is used to measure only change in the temperature. Adding an appropriate scale to the thermoscope by comparative observations would convert it into a thermometer.

In your second point, I would just like to note that 'trust' should not necessarily be exact. Measurements are never exact, there is always a degree of uncertainity/error associated with every measurement, and the knowledge of this while using any instrument is highly crucial.

Likes 1 person

What is the difference between a thermoscope and a thermometer?

A thermoscope is an instrument used to measure temperature changes by observing the expansion and contraction of a liquid or gas. A thermometer, on the other hand, is a more precise instrument that uses a calibrated scale to measure temperature.

How do thermoscopes and thermometers work?

Both thermoscopes and thermometers work by utilizing the principle of thermal expansion. As the temperature increases, the volume of the liquid or gas inside the instrument expands, causing the level to rise or the liquid to move up the scale, indicating a higher temperature.

What are the different types of thermometers?

There are several types of thermometers, including mercury, alcohol, digital, infrared, and bimetallic thermometers. Each type has its own advantages and is used for specific purposes, such as measuring body temperature, room temperature, or industrial processes.

What are the units of measurement for temperature on a thermometer?

The most commonly used units of measurement for temperature are Celsius (°C) and Fahrenheit (°F). However, other units such as Kelvin (K) and Rankine (°R) may also be used in certain applications.

How accurate are thermometers?

The accuracy of a thermometer depends on various factors, such as its design, calibration, and environmental conditions. Most modern thermometers have an accuracy of ±0.1°C, while more precise instruments can have an accuracy of ±0.001°C.