1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Therory of energy?

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    Therory of energy??

Greetings,
    Is there a term or word to describe regarding energy output "an action which produces more energy than is used to prepare"

I dont have any background in physics so this is most likely an easy question for you to answer. Let me know if you need more info regarding my question and thank you for your help.

Philip

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2012 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Re: Therory of energy??

Welcome to the forums :smile:

In chemistry the term exothermic reaction is used:

4. Apr 11, 2012 #3

One thing. It looks like the OP was asking the opposite.

Something that releases more energy than was put in is, if I remember correctly, a Perpetual Motion Machine of the First Kind, which is impossible, in which case another input of energy must be present, perhaps from the chemicals present in the reaction releasing some of their energy.

5. Apr 11, 2012 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

In nuclear fusion, they use exothermic too. But they're still shooting for "breakeven"

6. Apr 11, 2012 #5

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Whovian, the energy doesn't come from nowhere, it's stores as potential energy in the particle bonds.

7. Apr 11, 2012 #6

In a certain sense, these nuclear reactions aren't "break even," cos there's still a net loss of usable energy. The energy source is the nuclear fusion. :biggrin:

8. Apr 11, 2012 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

it's an economic statement. Just like I get "free energy" by taking my bike up an elevator so I can coast down a hill. It's only free to me.

9. Apr 11, 2012 #8

russ_watters

Yes, context matters here. In thermodynamics, it could be perpetual motion/ a first law violation or it could just be a heat pump.

10. Apr 11, 2012 #9

Ryan_m_b

Thats not input though that's part of the system. The system has stored energy, X energy is then applied which liberates >X energy. For example, taking a match to a barrel of oil. The input is the match.

11. Apr 12, 2012 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

By analogy with exothermic, I suggest exenthalpic or exergonic. There do appear to be prior usages.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook