Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

These are LEDs?

1. May 12, 2014 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2014 #2

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  4. May 12, 2014 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Next time, use the filter on the web page to select the type of packaging you want. For example "canister" will find parts that look more like

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/XSCWD43MB/1497-1041-ND/4745856 [Broken]

And look at the link to the data sheet before you buy. That will tell you the physical size etc, not just show you a picture. (I guess you expected your LEDs to be a lot bigger than they actually were).

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. May 12, 2014 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you just have to put this one down to experience and remember to read the spec sheets of stuff before you buy.
    (We have all been there.)

6. May 12, 2014 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah. I once had the reverse problem, when I bought a set of neon tubes that could display numerical digits by mail order from a "pre-owned equipment" company. Like this:

Nixie2.gif

They worked fine, except they were HUGE - each tube was about 12 inches long and 3 inches diameter!

7. May 12, 2014 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, 0402 SMD parts are a pain to handle and solder manually, and that's when you have a PCB with the correct pad pattern!

Take a look at the "Surfboard" adapter boardlets: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/prototyping-products/adapter-breakout-boards/2360393

They give you a way to convert tiny SMT pad patterns to more standard 0.1" spacing through-hole pins for prototyping. I didn't see any specifically for adapting 0402 components at that page, but look at the other tiny parts that they do support, to see if adjacent pads for those parts are about 0.040" apart (for 0402 SMD parts).

8. May 12, 2014 #7

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Just be glad you didn't order something smaller.

0201-0402-0603_SMD_Chip-componenten.jpg

http://www.murata.com/new/news_release/2012/0905/images/ind_img02.jpg

9. May 12, 2014 #8

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I didn't know you could buy the components to build your own home cinema display, one pixel at a time :biggrin:

10. May 12, 2014 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. May 13, 2014 #10

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Now you know what a 0402 surface mount package is. Even soldering wires to them is tough. Heat one side and the other side comes unsoldered. And. they stick to the solder on your soldering iron (due to surface tension of molten solder). Good luck without a microscope, good soldering iron, and really steady hands.

The instructables idea of using duct tape when attaching wires is a good one. but 0402 is way smaller than what they were working with.

12. May 13, 2014 #11

nsaspook

Science Advisor

0402 to wire:

:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  13. May 14, 2014 #12
    Thank you all for the tips. I better watch what I buy next time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook