These Are The Most Promising SETI Radio Signals

In summary, two individuals discuss the topic of SETI and the possibility of discovering intelligent life through radio signals. One person shares a video they made on the most promising radio signals detected so far, while the other expresses skepticism towards the idea of receiving signals from sentient aliens.
alberto91
Hi!

Just in case someone is interested in SETI, I made a video about the most promising radio signals detected so far.

Here it is: https://www.youtube...h?v=4MxNEfIfQjI

Hope you enjoy it!

What is the most promising SETI radio signal for you guys? Do you think we will discover an intelligent civilization with the SKA array?

Cheers,
Alberto.

Likes .Scott
Physics news on Phys.org
There are lots of threads on this topic here on PF. I suggest a forum search.

Personally, I think it's all nonsense. Not at all that sentient aliens exist (which I do believe), just the thought that we have received signals from them.

phinds said:
Personally, I think it's all nonsense. Not at all that sentient aliens exist (which I do believe), just the thought that we have received signals from them.
Given that the only evidence (as opposed to argument) that sentient aliens exist appears to be that we might just have detected signals from them, isn't it a bit illogical to believe in their existence, while decrying the only (currently) available evidence as "nonsense". (It's logic Jim, but not as we know it.)

1. What are SETI radio signals?

SETI stands for Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence. SETI radio signals are radio signals that are being searched for in outer space in an attempt to find signs of intelligent life.

2. How are SETI radio signals detected?

SETI radio signals are detected using special radio telescopes that are pointed towards specific regions of space. These telescopes are equipped with receivers that can detect and analyze radio waves coming from space.

3. How do scientists determine if a SETI radio signal is promising?

Scientists look for certain characteristics in SETI radio signals that make them stand out from background noise. These characteristics include narrow bandwidth, a steady signal, and a narrow beam pointing towards Earth.

4. What makes these specific SETI radio signals the most promising?

These SETI radio signals were chosen as the most promising because they exhibited all the characteristics of a potential extra-terrestrial signal. They were also detected multiple times, ruling out the possibility of it being a one-time occurrence or equipment malfunction.

5. What is the significance of finding a promising SETI radio signal?

Finding a promising SETI radio signal could potentially lead to the discovery of extra-terrestrial intelligent life, which would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could also open up possibilities for communication and collaboration with other intelligent beings.