1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

These two pendulums in SHM

1. Sep 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a thread with a sphere of mass M on one end, another thread BC is suspended with a sphere of mass m (as the image below). The point A executes small oscillations in the horizontal of period T. Find the length L of BC, knowing that B remains straight underneath A at all time

20140911_033630-1.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    SHM and dynamics equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    As AB is always on the vertical, we can see that when A is pushed to one side, BC hangs to the same side in order to balance the angular momentum. So, adopting the non inertial reference of AB, the sphere of mass m is now affected by the weight and the force that pushed A, let's say F. Then I've tried to analyze the forces in the direction of the mass' m movement to prove the simple harmonic motion of the system. But how can I calculate F? I can't seem to describe it mathematically :/

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

confuses me no end. Can I interptret this as: B remains straight underneath A at all time?

4. Sep 11, 2014 #3
    Yes, this is what you should interpret, actually. Let me edit the post

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  5. Sep 11, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So for all I kn
    ow AB could just as well be a stiff bar, right ?

6. Sep 12, 2014 #5
    Yes, despise their mass and consider they are a stiff bar

7. Sep 12, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

BC can be any length at all, there's nothing to restrict it: nothing is being said about C !

8. Sep 12, 2014 #7
    Probably not. Imagine, for an instance, |BC| >> |AB| and m>>M, then the period of oscillation must be smaller to compensate the angular momentum and to keep AB in the vertical. So I guess there must be a relation between the masses, period and BC's length as the problem requests

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted